I think I've mad a big mistake

ctilley

I recently started a new project at work. I was given a project to set up an automated packaging line for our product. This project includes 2 robots,4 PLCs,3 HMIs,and 1 PC. Against my better judgement, to try and save a little money, and because I thought I'd have a little more support from our local rep, I chose to not go with Allen Bradley PLCs and HMIs and go with a company called Delta. As i've started programming and running into problems, I've realized that there are basically only two people on this side of the world that know anything about Delta's Automation products. At present, these two people are on the other side of the world taking care of other business leaving me with absolutely no support. To top it off, I created a post on this forum a couple of days ago asking if anyone had experience with this brand of PLC and HMI and I have not gotten any responses. Not a good sign. Has anyone been in this situation before and if so what should I do?

1. Get the relevant manuals.
2. Read the relevant manuals.
3. Understand the friendly manuals.

If all you are having is basic problems with the PLCs, it'll fix itself by reading the manuals.

Yes, and I would just keep going up the chain of command at Delta till you get the support promised. Make a soft stink.

On other hand, having been in similar situations, I now generally don't use lots of products from new untested manufacturers in big projects before having a trial in smaller ones. I've been called out on the carpet to explain why startup dates are delayed because I tried to save a little money in the beginning. Managers generally expect that lesson to be learned long ago.

Just to make this clear

The Delta above isn't Delta Computer Systems. It is a different Delta what ever. There are too many companies named Delta this or that, and they sometime get confused with each other. We often get calls for Delta Tau products. All I have to say is that our founder and Dimitri Dimitri ( Delta Tau's founder ) should have had better imaginations. Oh well.

On this 'this side' of the pond, I've never heard of Delta!

Is there no support anywhere in the world where they can help by telephone? Even the engineers who are elsewhere shouls have access to a phone, surely!

From the Delta website:

Quote:

Delta’s DVP Series PLC and high-performance, high-speed and low-price mini PLC are the most efficient instruments that possess the communication capabilities within the industry and are as well the most advanced force in administrative management.

What the /CENSORED\ does THAT mean?

I'm presently learning Delta my self because they are being used in our Chinees packing machines. I won't be much help right now but I do know that they not to bad to work with.

Last edited:
Is it too late to punt? send it all back (take a 10% restocking fee) and buy something thats not a boat anchor.

Go to your boss, tell him/her "I screwed up" do this before its to late and you have a lot of time invested, just put your head down and 'eat mud'....they may help

Automation_Tech said:
Is it too late to punt? send it all back (take a 10% restocking fee) and buy something thats not a boat anchor.

Go to your boss, tell him/her "I screwed up" do this before its to late and you have a lot of time invested, just put your head down and 'eat mud'....they may help
I've had to do that before. It was a hard decision but we were dollars ahead in the end.

I've also decided to keep the hardware before and tough it out. I lost my you know what doing that.

This comment is just about Automation_Tech's statement, I have no experience with Delta, whichever Delta we are talking about

Thanks for the responses guys. The company's website is www.delta.com.tw. I am working with the EH series plcs and the Dop-AE series HMIs. The hardware seems to be pretty well built and the programming software for both PLCs and HMIs isn't that bad to use. The problem is trying to get the Master PLC to communicate with all the slave devices. It's almost like the Engineers in the US have never tried this before. The head Engineer sent me a communication program written with a utility (wizard) in the programming software and it did not work. Is that common practice to actually have to write "logic" to talk over Modbus?

It is actually a common practive to use logic to talk Modbus. Some do have this communications protocol built in but those who don't will use this method.

Don't know how much help I can be but can you post a pdf of the code? Modbus is Modbus but...