CLX dumps program when power lost during trending

AJZ

Does a Contrologix CPU normally dump the program when the power is turned off while RSLogix5000 has a trend running? It happened today to me. The trend's sample rate was 2ms and the CPU is an older model V12.x

That doesn't necessarily mean anything. Some of the old version batteries would only last a few hours -- yes, hours. (We learned that the hard way, too...)

You need to contact techsupport for instructions on how to extract fault log that they will analyze. Make sure yuou are running the latest FW available for ver 12 - check website

So, to answer your question, no, that is not normal. As mentioned, check that battery.

Can you tell us which CPU you are using (550, 5555, etc...) and what firmware rev (12.04)?

OG

Hard to know without CPU specifics firmware rev etc.It shouldnt. I have performed this using 5555 and never encountered this problem while cycling the power. Have you contacted RS?

The CPU is a 1756-L55 ControlLogix5555 Revision 12.23.
Normally, the machine can be shut-down without any problems. But while being online with a running trend, the power was shut-off and then the program was dumped.

Contr_Conn said:
You need to contact techsupport for instructions on how to extract fault log that they will analyze. Make sure yuou are running the latest FW available for ver 12 - check website
We're not going to be able to help you on this one. Follow Contr_Conn's instructions

Out of curiousity, was this done on purpose? If so, what were you trying to accomplish?

No, it was not done on purpose. Somebody else turned off the main disconnect switch to the panel without informing me

I am curious. Does this happen at 3, 4 or 5 milliseconds?

To do sampling at millisecond intervals the CLX must be using interrupts. It is possible that the interrupts arrive faster than they can be processed. This would cause a stack crash because an interrupt causes the processor to store the current state on the stack and then execute the interrupt. When returning from the interrupt the state is popped off the stack but if another interrupt arrives before the state is popped off the stack then two states are are stored on the stack. If this happens mulitple times then the stack will grow and grow until it overflows. Increasing the time between the interrupts will allow the previous state to be popped off the stack before the next interrupt.

Apparently the processor only took a digger when power was lost. up to that time trending was moving along without an issue. If this was a stack overflow I wouldn't expect it to be tied to a power loss. Unless the contention is that the fault just happened to occur at the instant of power loss (that is, power loss causing the issue is a bad cause/effect relationship).

Keith

I have seen CLGX processors lose the program before.

Usually the issue is the PLC detects some type of corrupt program problem and the way hardware is set up it clears the memory to make sure it is not executing a corrupt program. This unfortunately has nothing to do with the battery.

The really strange thing is I've seen it happen even when no program edits are active and nobody is even on-line with the PLC. I have asked Rockwell about it and have never got a solid answer. They request the diagnostic information (fault logs, etc)to troubleshoot the issue. Another possibility is a power spike that corrupts the program. Make sure you have a line filter on the incoming power to the PLC. I always use line filters to prevent this type of issue.

The good news is I have not seen it happen in a few years.