How to Simulate a 1794-IE8 W/O one ?

skyfox

Lifetime Supporting Member
PLC 5 CPU

Is it possible to simulate functionality of an Anlog I/O card to test BTR/BTW instructions without actually having one?

What I mean is, is it possible to simulate the input Raw value read by by one these cards by using a data files in Rslogix 5?

Ie.

1. Put the simulated input raw value manually in to some data file.

2. Then execute a block tranfer read to read this value and store it in an "N" file.

What I want is to be able to accurately simulate BTR/BTW instructions. Not sure how to address or even possible to put simulated Rack/Group/Module set-up parameters in to the BTR/BTW instruction. Just trying to learn BTR/BTW without actually having access to one of these cards.

Hope someone can give me a clue as to if this can be done or I am completely and fully insane.

Thanks.

Last edited:
No, you cannot simulate a BTW or BTR instruction without having the module actually installed. There is no "I/O emulator" built into the PLC-5.

You can simply insert the expected range of values into the target N-file, but the only way to know if those are what you're really going to get is to install one of the modules and test it.