RS logix 500

bob1371

Lifetime Supporting Member
Hello
Just wondering if there is a way to keep Rs logix 500 on both my laptops. I just installed on a new one and working great, but will be taking work home from time to time and may need to use other laptop. I just didnt want the hassle of transfering the Key back and forth.
Thanks
Bob
beerchug

Bob

I don't know about RS logix 500, but Siemens Step7 runs quite happily without the authorisation. If RS Logix 500 won't run like this then perhaps you will have to buy another key.

This is getting into the realms of software theft is it not? Maybe theft is too strong a word to use for fiddling software keys.

Personally, I do not condone this action and I would be very disappointed with anyone who does this sort of thing. That is my personal opinion and I do not mean to offend anybody by expressing my views.

Paul

If your support is active you can reset the Master online at the AB website. Thats as far as I will go in this type endeavor.

Thanks for the replies.
I didnt want to start a stealing/is this right discussion. Both laptops and the software are owned by my company and only used on the equipment there. I will see what AB charges for another license.
thanks
bob

A license and a half

When you get an activation diskette for RSLogix 500 (or any other RSI product, for that matter) you get an "activation and a half".

The activation file can be moved using the RSI utility from the diskette onto a hard disk. What remains on the diskette is a un-movable activation. You can use that diskette to start up RSLogix 500 on a computer that doesn't have the activation on it's hard drive.

That is well within your rights as the software owner; you have a license for "one user at a time", and if your butt happens to be parked at home instead of at the office matters not a whit.

I always use a diskette imaging utility to duplicate my RSI activation diskettes. The originals are in my little fireproof safe, and the duplicate is what I use to activate my home PC when I happen to be working there instead of at the office.

If I happen to hose the duplicate master disk, no problem; I go back and make another one. It's all above board as long as I don't use the duplicate to have another simultaneous user.

Eddie
thanks for the tip. I had to run into work real quick and get the diskette. Worked just as you stated.
Thanks again.
bob
:cool:

Hey Eddie:

What are you using to back-up the disk? When I tried this I could not run it with the back-up. I'm a bit worried using the original.

Thanks Joe

Hi Joe,

A-B frowns mightily on the practice of duplicating keydisks, as there's nothing but the honor your momma taught you to keep you from robbing them blind with the same utility I use to save my keydisks from fire and flood. Therefore I don't discuss it in public on the forum. Drop me an e-mail or Private Message through my profile and I'll tell you all about it.

Oh, and go ahead and register with the site. It makes it easy for folks to contact you, plus you get to wave a flag (any flag you want!) and show a nifty avatar picture.

I may be incorrect in this assumption,

I thought that you could still program without an activation key, but you won't be able to download the software to a processor without the activation. You just install the software and when it prompts with "Install activation now?" you click on no and it states that it can only be run in Demo mode.

I say this because, you don't intend to hook up to a processor at home are you? In which case the activation code would be unnecessary. You could just put your program on a floppy and bring it to a computer that is activated.

Please, correct me if I'm mistaken. My work computer goes home with me so I don't have this particular scenario to contend with.

bad news ...

Sorry, Voltimus, but with all of the RSLogix products (except the free package for the 10-point MicroLogix) you must have an activation "key" in order to even run the software ... without the key all you get is a "fatal error" message when you try to start the software ... specifically, you can't view ANY ladder logic ... even offline ...

Thanks for the replies.
I didnt want to start a stealing/is this right discussion. Both laptops and the software are owned by my company and only used on the equipment there. I will see what AB charges for another license.
thanks

I know what you mean but i feel i have to add my two c

most other software providers providing programs (Such as microsoft office and others along the same lines) allow you to install the software on two computers, such as a lap top and a desk top. The reson being you cant be in two places at the same time. I think AB should do the same. also as others have said it is risky running with the origional disk. I also see AB side of things with pirating.

I know tech support can reset your keys for you but that dosnt help when your on site with the lap top and the key is at home and you have a duff disk at 3.00am eastern and tech support dosnt open till 8.00am..

This happened to me once when my lap top got stolen. I got the new one intalled the software on it but couldnt activated it becouse the key was on the stolen lap top..Sure enough the same night i got the lap top i got a service call..Couldnt do a damn thing..the disk i had was corrupt and the drive wouldnt read it..Luckally it wasnt mission critical..(Contorlled the timing of the hot tub pumps for a recreation complex) so it could wate till the next day...

I did play around with trying to copy the disk when i first got it but was nieve anough to belive the warning about it detecting and erasing...

Things have changed since then!
Also i think when people spend the kind of money we spend on the software you think twice about lending out..Just think most people who would "Borrow it" would be you compition later!!!

Also on the same subject..if any one is still reading.. I installed the fuction block editior on my lap top how can i use it with the matser disk on my desk top??(Legally!!)

Thanks
D

just looked st the spelling of my post....ignore it please..my mother would be ashamed..and i can edit it..Hopefully i can remember what email addy i used to register here