Question about smart (intelligent) devices

Pandiani

Lifetime Supporting Member
Hello to all,
I wonder if someone can explain what features dome device must have in orderd to be called smart or intelligent? Is it OK to called every device that has some kind of CPU and which perform internal calculations smart?

Thanks!

Smart is relative

Pandiani said:
Is it OK to called every device that has some kind of CPU and which perform internal calculations smart?
I think I would be disappointed if my smart digital tempereature controller didn't do more than an analog temperature controller.
Smart is relative too. A temperature controller may need to have an auto tune feature before it could be called smart or even average these days.

Are HMIs that just display numbers and images considered smart?

"Smart" is a marketing term, not a technical term. It means whatever the marketing guy defines it as, which can be as loosey goosey as to sometimes invoke the word 'deception'.

Dan