Webcam integration to HMI

jgreenewv

Lifetime Supporting Member
I have a customer that purchased some D-Link DCS-6620 web cams to monitor their plant. I would like to integrate the video from these into their HMI system (CitectSCADA, specifically). Has anyone done this before with D-Link cameras? Is there an ActiveX control I can drop into the CitectSCADA software to view the video real-time? I have an e-mail into D-Link about this, but I haven't heard anything back yet. Thanks.

if you can view the image of the camera with your internet explorer, you can use the activeX of Internet explorer to view the image.

Be careful with using activeX components in Citect, it can stall citect, wich means you can loose communication for a while or miss trend samples.

Regards,

Marsupilami

Marsupilami,
I had thought about using the IE ActiveX. However, I really don't need all the extra info the web cam supplies through the browser (pan/tilt/zoom controls, setting, etc.) I only want to display the video. That's why I was hoping someone may have done this, and knew of a D-Link supplied ActiveX that would work.

Also, thanks for the heads-up on ActiveX stalling Citect. Have you seen this with any particular ActiveX controls, or just using ActiveX in general. Thanks again.

Joe,

I have done this with a Winnov video capture card.
They use activeX and its all done in CiCode.
You can display real time video and also do frame
captures to disk. Winnov were quite helpful.
I have had no problems using this activeX with
Citect.

Edit
Sorry, I hadn't read the post properly. This only applies
to normal video cameras.

Barry Baker

Last edited: