SLC5/03 Editing Errors

Joe Loescher

J
I am running 20 machines with virtually the same program in all of them. On one of these when I copy in a few new rungs of logic and accept the edits it says "Program could not be compiled. Online edits Failed" and kicks me offline. Yet the same edits work on all the other machines. ANY IDEAS???

Joe

Yeah, Its in rem and as I said this edit worked on the other 19 machines.

Joe

What is the processor? If it is an older 5/03, it may not have supported online editing. You can get an upgread from AB.

I just realized that I assumed AB.

It might be a good idea to post all the info you can, I have a feeling that I am barking up the wrong tree.

Do all of the addresses in the new rungs already exist in the processor giving the error? You cannot re-size data files during online editing. Perhaps at some point in time, someone chose to 'delete all unused addresses' for this processor and not on the others.

It the processor model the same as the others? The 5/03 comes in 8K and 16K memory flavors. Maybe you found the straw that broke the camels back on an 8K?

Just some thoughts

Its an 8k unit running os302 and there is plenty of memory left. We have done online editing on this machine before with no problems, so it is something that has changed.

Joe

Check to see if any of the data files referenced by the rungs you are editing have write protection set on them. That can cause compiler errors during online edits in SLC's.

I've had editing errors occur on SLC in which an edit failed and left the controller in Edit Mode, preventing another RSLogix 500 session from doing any edits. The error message was different in that case, something about "could not obtain edit resource", and the solution was to download a fresh program to the controller.

I use 5/03 with OS302 quite often but I've not seen this particular problem. Can you tell us which version of RSLogix 500 you're using ?

I checked the data files and none are write protected. I am using version 4.10.00 of rslogix.

Joe

There's nothing in the release notes for any of the subsequent releases of RSLogix 500 that specifically mentions 5/03's or online editing.

I'd try to narrow this down to see if it's editing in general that is failing on the SLC, or just that *particular* edit.

Try adding a rung to see if you can perform that type of edit.
Next try editing an existing rung.
Next try pasting one rung.
Next try pasting several rungs.

(P.S. I ran your error text through the big A-B tech support historical database and only got five hits over the past six years with those error messages. All five involved total loss of processor memory during edits. So you've got something VERY weird going on.)

If you have the opportunity to make these edits to the offline file (hey, does that work?) and re-download the program, that's what I'd do now.

Last edited:
I checked the data files and none are write protected.

You didn't mention that you checked this specifically so I'll ask again (really not being pushy here... just trying to help).

Are you pasting any address that do not already exist in the data files on this processor.

For instance if you try to paste a wrung from another processor or a library that contains address n7:50 but the N7 file is only sized to hold 30 integers the processor won't let you make the change online.

I don't remember the exact message when I've accidently tried this before but it is something similar to what you posted.

Take Care

Try this:

Rather than pasting in rungs, enter the rungs manually one by one.
Start with one new rung and type in one conditional instruction (like XIC) and one output instruction (like OTE) and accept+test+assemble immediately. If OK, then continue with adding instructions and rungs, until you either finish everything succesfully or find the "bad" instruction.

It is possible that something "strange" has been copied onto the clipboard, and this screws things up when you paste it.

Is the version of the SLC5/03 CPU the same as the version from which you are pasting the rungs (only an idea, RSLogix should actually catch this when accepting the rung).