totalizer values not correct in PLC-5

lawebster

Does anyone have any experience bringing in OMNI flow totalizers values into a AB PLC-5?

I am trying to get data from a bank of 7 OMNI 6000 flow computers using a Prosoft MCM-3100 installed in a AB PLC-5/20. This is Modbus communication via serial cable. 32 bit float data, flow/temp/pressure etc, look good but the totalizer values are not correct and do not resemble anything close. In the OMNI the totalizer data is 32 bit long int. The Prosoft module is master the omni the slave and the PLC gets the data via Block Transfer (BTR) commands. Prosoft module has data storage of 4000 16 bit words (0-3999) so the totalizer value would be stored in word 0 & 1. How can I get those two words brought into the plc with the correct values?

I have searched this board and was wondering if this is what needs to be done:

http://www.plctalk.net/qanda/showthread.php?t=16051&highlight=32+bit+long+integer

If so could someone enlighten me a bit on why this happens

Thanks

LA,

You must use the same "language" at each data transfer point, or if not possible, you must convert the data from one type to another. The Omni is talking with 32-bit signed Long Integer words (no decimal point, no fractional parts). Make sure that you are using the Long Integer format for transferring the data at each step. Long Integer data will not directly transfer correctly to a Floating Point data file. Note that the PLC 5/20 does not have the Long Integer data type available. Your choices are to either convert the data to single 16-bit Integer (N file type) numbers, or convert it to the Floating Point (F file type).

Here are the data file type descriptions from RSLogix:

F8 - Floating Point This file stores a # with a range of -3.40282347e38 to -1.1754944e-38 and 1.1754944e-38 to 3.40282347e38. F8 is the default file number. For this file type, you can assign any file number from 3 thru 999. This file can be 1,000 float words (32-bit words) maximum.

L(3-4095)
Long Used to provide a 32-bit signed integer. Each L file can contain a maximum of 4096 elements. 2 words/element. The L file type cannot be used in an indirect address. (Available only with the SoftLogix 5 controller)
Rockwell Software Inc., 1997, 1998, 1999, 2000

Last edited: