RSVIEW version

MGuenette

Hi,

I'm wondering which version of RSVIEW i should buy. The company who developped our HMI applications used RSVIEW Studio Release number 2.10 and build number : 05

This version of RSView studio works on Win2000. It does not work very well on winxp right?

Do you know if it exists a version of RSview whitch works on winxp and I can use to work on the same application than our suppliers?

Thanks a lot.

Martin.

The current release is View Studio 4.00 (CPR7) Build 60 as of my last update a few weeks ago.
Applications can be upconverted, with almost no difficulty, specific issues are covered in the release notes.
We have a dozen or more SE 4.0 servers/clients around here, mostly on XP Professional, a few still on Win 2K, and have no issues.

I don't think you'll have any option on versions if you purchase from AB/Rockwell. You'll get the latest (4.0). You might be able to find older versions available second-hand.

You have a couple of problems:
  • V4.0 cannot create run-time files for V2.10
  • you can import your V2.10 application into Studio V4.0 but then you can only create run-times for versions 3.0, 3.1, 3.2, and 4.0
  • if you can update the PV+ firmware to V3.0 you may be OK
  • if you want to update to 3.1, 3.2, or 4.0, then the Windows CE version has to be updated from 3 to 4
  • if you buy a new PV+ today, it will be V4.0 and will not run your V2.10 files. You will only be able to program it using V4.0 of Studio.

And the upgrade path from v2.x to v3.x was absolutely horrible. We were never able to get an upgrade to work right and the only solution RS was able to come up with was to reformat the harddrive and start over...

work on the same application [as] our suppliers?

In answer to your direct question, no. The modern edition of RSView Studio is version 4.0. It's only compatible with runtime firmware (windows CE boxes) and runtime software (Windows 2000 computers) with version 3.0, 3.1, 3.2, or 4.0.

Only forward migration, not backward compatibility, with version 2.0 systems is supported.

I have a customer who was an early adopter of RSView ME 2.0 and has a dozen VersaView CE terminals in the field with that edition running on them.

Their solution to the compatibility crunch has been to keep one computer with Windows 2000 and RSView Studio 2.0 to maintain those older terminals. When the opportunity comes around to upgrade the terminals, they replace them with PanelView Plus terminals running RSView ME 4.0 runtime firmware.

Martin, are your HMI's running on small VersaView CE or 6182 embedded terminals, or on Windows 2000 PC's ?

Rockwell's advice at the time was not to upgrade RAC6182's from version 2 to 3 unless there was some pressing need for a new feature. The prime reason given was the additional memory required.

Unfortunately, I discovered this advice sometime after updating our sole RAC6182 and installing the additional memory card.

To go beyond version 3.0 requires an update to the Windows CE system. When we pressed Rockwell for the update, their response was to offer a half-price PV+. It may be that the RAC6182 doesn't have sufficient memory capacity for further upgrades.

That's still the recommendation; keep the 6182's running version 2.0 and keep a Windows 2000 computer around to run the RSView ME Studio 2.0 software.

Treat the old RSView ME 2.0 and 6182 system as a totally separate product from PV+ and RSView Studio 4.0.

What are the big benefits/distinctions between 2.x and 3.0? What about between 3.x and 4.0?

Ken Roach said:
That's still the recommendation; keep the 6182's running version 2.0 and keep a Windows 2000 computer around to run the RSView ME Studio 2.0 software.

Treat the old RSView ME 2.0 and 6182 system as a totally separate product from PV+ and RSView Studio 4.0.