Motion with RSLogix 5000

PLCRookie

Is it possible to view motion axes in motion with RSLogix5000?
I have never used this software before, so I have some rookie questions regarding the capabilities. I have done some simple servo applications before, but this is far more tricky.
The application I am involved in has two axes of motion, one that moves a slide (rack and pinion), and the othe that drives a gear pump to apply adhesive. The plan is to drive the pump to lay down a consistent bead of adhesive on to the part, with axis one moving the nozzle forward at a controlled rate.
I know that there will have to be some kind of coordination of the axes.
The question is , can you view the motion moves with some sort of "scope" tool that could tell me if the tuning parameters were correct? We have pretty good results, but need better.

I currently do not have our copy of the software, but I have been exposed to it at the vendors site.

Any Thoughts Appreciated
:site:

To answer your question, yes...

The trending utility in RS5000 is very handy. You can plot anything.

I have used this very much to evaluate servo tuning parameters. You can plot ActualPostion vs CommandPosition (for example). You can plot any tag (variable) that is in the controller.

Take a look at all the tags (variables) contained in the AXIS structure for your servo axis. You should find everything you need.

Yes you can,

The RSlogix5000 has Trend built in where you can trend a number of Clgx tags in real time or stored for historical viewing . If your servos are on the SERCOS network, then each axis has a series of tags that are now native to the Clgx and can therefore be viewed and trended.

monitor_1.jpg

Sample of a Trend

Ian

Last edited:
RS5000 trend rate

The fastest trend rate possible is the motion group update rate. typically 2 to 6 ms (as the PLC values are updated at the group update rate)
I find that I only need this trend rate for tuning, when trending for applications I usually use 10 ms

PS I only use these rates when connected by ethernet.
Setting the motion group update rate is another topic.

Thanks guys, that was exactly what I was hoping for.
I will have to gather some more info to better understand how the axes are tied together. I am still green when it comes to servos and such. The drives are set up on sercos. I believe it is set up so that the pump is the master, and the linear is the slave. We think we have the perfect match of components to do the job, but we just seem to be lacking consistency.

Thanks again for the replies.
Can't wait for RSLogix5000!

(y) 🍺