Control logix, ethernet 1756-Enet, Rslinx

geniusintraining

Lifetime Supporting Member + Moderator
Hello,

I have a new CLX, I powered it up downloaded the firmware, configured the I/O's, but I have two cards left a Enet and a DHRIO

Anyone have any procedures or links that they could point out

I have assigned a IP address to the module tried to configure linx but I dont think I did it correct (due to the fact it's not there, I used AB_ETHIP-1 and to top it all off my Linx help is not working

I have not tried the DHRIO yet, I hope I have better luck with that one

Thanks

linx111.gif

Ethernet 102: Driver Configuration

Okay, take a step back and a deep breath. Coffee might help at this point too.

What's scrolling across the 1756-ENBT display ?

Browse to the 1756-ENBT using the controller's serial port and the DF1-1 driver, right-click to "Configure Module" and note the IP address, Subnet Mask, and Default Gateway.

Next check your PC's IP address by bringing up a command prompt and typing "IPCONFIG /ALL".

Next type a PING command in the Windows command prompt window, specifying the IP address of the 1756-ENBT.

and post your results.

I ping it, came back 100% no lost, but...

it does not show in linx, its in 01

Edit: I also have a solid red ok led, blank txd and slow flashing rxd

linx112.gif

Last edited:
Okay, this is a 1756-ENET, not a 1756-ENBT. It's an older module, that only uses the "Ethernet Devices" driver in RSLinx, not the "EtherNet/IP" driver.

That solid red "OK" LED bothers me, though, as does the failure to appear in RSLinx. You might have a damaged module.

Since you got a PING response from the module, please do two new tests:

1. Unplug the module and PING it again. No response ? Great, you don't have an IP address conflict.

2. Put the module's IP address into a web browser address field and see if you can view the built-in web page on the module.

3. Plug in the 1756-ENBT alone in the chassis and cycle power, and see if the OK LED starts flashing green.

tried it again (and yes this module is older it came from one of our other plants)

this time the ping would not work and it also failed on the web brower, tried it by it self and still a solid red led?? bad news?

no IP conflict

Ok...I think it's toast (I give up), can I send it to AB for repair?? or does it need to go to a 3rd party?

Yes they can be repaired. You might want to do an exchange instead (you could have one by tomorrow morning). The repair HUB shows over 30 Series A's available for exchange and 2 series B's. Contact your local distributor and ask to speak with whoever handles AB returns/exchanges.

Contr_Conn said:
Why you are using 1756-ENET for new system?
This module discontinued 5 years ago.

I bought the processor, rack and I/O's and was given the 1756-ENET and 1756-DHRIO

The project needs the DH+, but I just wanted to get the ENET to work, you know... its like a fat man in a candy shop :D

Give me automation and I will use it (old or new) but one thing for sure, I have learned more, so today was a good day

Thanks

Oh, and that thing about the RSLinx Help....

A while ago the RSLinx documentation team decided to a neat Microsoft document type called "Compiled HTML" (CHM) for Help documentation. Little did they know MS was going to break and modify CHM in each service pack and in response to security exploits.

They patched the problem by having RSLinx recognize problem and make suggestions, but you still have to jump through some MSIE hoops. Future help files will hopefully rely on ordinary, boring MSHELP.

I found that there's an RSLinx Online Reference link in my Programs -> Rockwell Software -> RSLinx menu that will open the Help file separately. I can also open Help if RSLinx is running as an application instead of as a service.

Dhrio

geniusintraining No one seems to have given you any DHRIO Pointers

1) I do not have the DHRIO Card in the Clx5000 Configuration when I am using DH+ only - The processor IO fault light always blinks - Can send electricians to fault find on the wrong path.
2) Set the slot number of the processor for the DH+ address (default is slot 0)
3) set up any required remote link ID's

have fun

Ken Roach said:
Oh, and that thing about the RSLinx Help....

A while ago the RSLinx documentation team decided to a neat Microsoft document type called "Compiled HTML" (CHM) for Help documentation. Little did they know MS was going to break and modify CHM in each service pack and in response to security exploits.

They patched the problem by having RSLinx recognize problem and make suggestions, but you still have to jump through some MSIE hoops. Future help files will hopefully rely on ordinary, boring MSHELP.

I found that there's an RSLinx Online Reference link in my Programs -> Rockwell Software -> RSLinx menu that will open the Help file separately. I can also open Help if RSLinx is running as an application instead of as a service.

Call Rockwell, and there is a quick fix for the help. I dont remember it off my head, but i can dig it out if u really really need it.