DeviceNet PanelView600

Alex Pel

Hi everybody.

I have no experience with DeviceNet. I have to connect PanelView600 with D-Net to AB SLC 5/05 controller. I already managed to get on-line from RSNetWorx to scanner by “Pass-trough”. Now my problem is the PanelView has a comm. error. On the scanner “Module – red fleshing” (bad configuration) and “92” (no power) I don’t have a D-Net cable. I used shielded two twisted pairs: - one pair for power, another for signal. I didn’t put any resistors. A cable length is 2 m. Also I don’t have a Net power supply.

So is it my wiring problem or maybe I am missing something in configuration?

Thanks.

Alex Pel said:
Hi everybody.

I have no experience with DeviceNet. I have to connect PanelView600 with D-Net to AB SLC 5/05 controller. I already managed to get on-line from RSNetWorx to scanner by “Pass-trough”. Now my problem is the PanelView has a comm. error. On the scanner “Module – red fleshing” (bad configuration) and “92” (no power) I don’t have a D-Net cable. I used shielded two twisted pairs: - one pair for power, another for signal. I didn’t put any resistors. A cable length is 2 m. Also I don’t have a Net power supply.

So is it my wiring problem or maybe I am missing something in configuration?

Thanks.

DeviceNet requires a power supply, and you need the terminating resistors

I knew about it but I saw an existing wiring just PLC and HMI without neither power supply nor terminating resistors? That is old, not operating panel. Maybe someone removed resistors but there is no any open wire from power supply. Before to order 2 m cable, power supply and resistors I would like to know: - maybe someone had successfully connected one device without power supply?

Thanks.

Alex Pel said:
I knew about it but I saw an existing wiring just PLC and HMI without neither power supply nor terminating resistors? That is old, not operating panel. Maybe someone removed resistors but there is no any open wire from power supply. Before to order 2 m cable, power supply and resistors I would like to know: - maybe someone had successfully connected one device without power supply?

Thanks.

Either that or they used the onboard +24VDC P.S. on the SLC Power Supply

curlyandshemp said:
Either that or they used the onboard +24VDC P.S. on the SLC Power Supply
That is interesting. I assumed the “power supply”, as I read, it is a special DeviceNet unit. Do you think I can use any 24VDC power supply? And how, Red is “+” Black is “-“? Should I connect it in series as a loop or in parallel?

This is Page 1 stuff, Alex.

DeviceNet requires 24VDC power in parallel from it's own dedicated supply. The scanner does not provide this power.

The power supply need not be DeviceNet-special, just appropriate according to the DeviceNet requirements for voltage stability, current limit, and rise time.

The Red wire is DC positive. The Black wire is DC negative.
The White wire is the CAN_High signal.
The Blue wire is the CAN_Low signal.

DeviceNet requires two and only two terminating resistors of 120 ohms each across the CAN_H and CAN_L wires at each end of the trunkline.

If the DeviceNet system does not work, and the scanner module indicates that power is not applied, it's a safe bet that you need to hook up 24VDC power.

Last edited:
Ken Roach said:
Alex, take a few minutes to read Chapter 1 of this document:

DeviceNet Media Planning and Installation Guide

It will answer your questions more completely and more quickly than posting and and answering will.
Thanks Ken. Now my media is working fine, but there is a configuration problem.

“MODULE” – Flashing Red.

“NET” – Flashing green (The channel is enable but no communication is occurring)

“Numeric Display” – 00 / 75 (No scan list is active in the module).

Browse found the PanelView and assigned address #2. I add to scan list. Download all network. It didn’t say any problem.

I can see my PanelView in RSLinx and in RSNetWorks but couldn’t in PanelBuilder.

Thanks for any advise.

Ok. Now I set I/O like “Change of state” 1 bytes, and I have:

“Numeric Display” – 00 / 77 (Data size does not match).

Does anyone know what I/O parameters for PanelView600?

Finally I got it. In RSNetworx: I/O – “Polled” 100 bytes and in PanelBuilder: I/O scanner – 50 words!

Now I have both “MODULE” and “NET” steady green. Only “Numeric Display” – 00 / 80 (Module is in idle mode) no actions required.

This is a story: “How the company save money”. They didn’t buy an Ethernet HMI. They found old Device-Net one. I already spent 3 days to configure it and I found out further problems. The tags. D-Net HMI doesn’t support controller tags. Now I have to learn I/O slave tags, Assembly Instances? It is good for me and might be not a big dial, but the boss already nerves. He expected minutes from me to stick the D-Net HMI.

Any way, thanks everybody for support.