Protecting twisted pair cable in the elements

kiwi10001

Hi all, I have a bit of a question. I have an application where I have to run shielded twisted pair cable for a Modbus RS485 network outside in the elements. The application is for a conveyor system, the cable must be mounted to the conveyors. We get a lot of rain up here, (think Seattle, but safer). Is there an armoured twisted pair cable, something on the lines of armoured tec-cable. Total cable run distances are around 400', all outside and all subject to dust, dirt, rain, snow, and stray rocks and logs.

Kiwi

You will need to get the 4 wire equivalent but I had a similar application only for Ethernet and add hot steel flying around also. I found Beldin 7919A to work the best

It has a very tough outer jacket that is resistant to sunlight, abrasions, rain, etc

Don't neglect a signal ground. See B&B Electronics president Mike Fahrion's note
--------
There’s no such thing as “2-wire RS-485.” The next time you hear someone describe their RS-485 system as “2-wire”, please do me a favor and give them a poke in the ribs. RS-485 requires a differential pair and a signal return line. Sure, it seems like it works without the ground, but I can assure you that your system is in peril until you connect that dedicated signal ground connection. With this customer, I was easily able to demonstrate that the noise level dropped dramatically when we added a signal ground connection.
---------
http://www.bb-elec.com/485successes/
B&B has done serial communications for ages now.

At least Belden 7919A has enough pairs to use one for a signal ground.

Dan

KIWI

So here I am in Seattle where it IS raining. Since I live on a boat I guess the rain is not a problem as long as I keep the hatch shut.

Anyway cable run on a conveyer. I dont think the rain and UV from sunshine (especially here in NW) is as much a problem as the rocks and logs. I would definitely run a waterproof UV proof sheathed cable with a shield. Because of rocks and logs I think I would give some thought to running in conduit. Yeah I know conduit adds to cost and it is not immune to rocks and logs ,,,,,,,,,,,BUT next year you will be splicing the cable in Jan in six inches of snow and rain running down your back.

Dan Bentler