Advanced functions

Scotty86

For my coursework i have been asked;

1) Explain the meaning of 'advanced functions' in PLC programing?

2) Compare the 'advanced functions' of a mitsubishi FX with the 'advanced functions' of another make of PLC?

Does anyone know anything on the matter, i cannot find anything conclusive.
Thanks

Thanks. Ive already had a look and it does not say what they are? Is there any more sites that might give me more information?

In this case, the definition of "advanced functions" in a PLC depends on who asked the question.

It probably means anything more sophisticated than ladder logic, timers, counters, and four-function arithmetic. Having said that, some people might consider arithmetic functions to be advanced.

One PLC's "advanced functions" may be included in another PLC's "basic functions". They may not use that wording either. You will have to wade through each PLC you choose and view available instructions/functions.

First pick a base PLC, one which you are most familiar with - note the functions which are considered "advanced" or whatever else name they may give. Then pick another PLC. Note the following for this second:

1. Has functions which the first did not.
2. Lacks functions which the first had.
3. Classifies functions differently (advanced/basic)

Continue on for as many PLCs as you have time for. Make a spreadsheet of the functions (with each PLC's equivalent name). Note which functions appear to be common to all. Note any particularly useful functions which you may have noted in only a few (or one) PLC.

This will probably take a while but it could lead to an impressive report. Check back here with some of your more interesting conclusions.

I had a very smart a$$ answer but it all boils down to this.

1. We don't have a definition of what an advanced function is.
2. The quesiton is irrelevant. We have obviously gotten by even though we are ignorant of the official HNC rules for how functions are classified as advanced.

From the freestudy link supplied by Steve Bailey:

Advanced.JPG

In Mitsubishi "Function xxx" or "Applied Instruction" is any instruction other than contact or coil device (single bit SET/RESET is considered a coil).
Never heard of "Advanced Functions" in Mitsubishi.

Last edited:
Thanks for the replys guys. Im still uncertain my college assignment said there are advanced functions in Mitsubishi PLC's. Im assuming advanced functions in terms of Mitsubishi PLC's refers to the special purpose M-coils, these are pre-programmed into the PLC.
What do you think guys?
P.S Im begining to hate college haha

You should fire your stupid instructors for wasting your time with stupid questions.

Don't forget. You are the customer.Today 10:15 AM

Definately!!

M bits are not advanced they are only internal work bits.