LABVIEW WITH SCADA(wware)

AJMUL

what is the difference between labview and SCADA package?
communication,interface wise,update time wise which gives better
performance?????????????

Well, I can sure answer your question.

There are many differences between LabView and SCADA/HMI packages.

First of all, LabView is a programming language and it was designed to serve the data acquisition applications.

SCADA software is NOT a programming language, even those packages that provides VBA or any other scripting features.

Technically, LabView is not a true HMI/SCADA package; you will have to "code" a lot to obtain standard functions in any HMI package.

For example: (Alarm Viewer)
In SCADA package: You simply define the "Tag" and set some limits (Lo, Hi .. etc) and then select your alarm viewer object from your tool box and drop it on the graphics screen and your done.

In LabView: You will have to "Draw" the code that compares the value to Hi and Lo limits, then you should some how think about a way to show alarm lines as it shown in any SCADA package, I did that and it wasn't simple at all and it wasn't as it is in the SCADA package.

This was one example that shows you that LabView isn't really an HMI software, other things can be discussed also (I did similar discussion in NI forums, and It was useful. I'll be back with the link to this discussion)

Even National Instruments doesn't call LabView a SCADA package, and they already have different software for SCADA .. "Lookout"

Note: There is a software module that can be added to LabView called "DSC module: Data Logging and Supervisory Control module". (Extra $$$)
It adds more functions to LabView to be near to SCADA software packages, but it still not enough.

And on the other hand, SCADA packages can't do what LabView can do in DAS (Data Acquisition Systems), it's a very powerful tool when it comes to complicated calculations, analysis ... etc

Just use the right tool in the right place.

BR

Last edited: