MicroLogix1100: Data Logging via Network

Acidjazz54

Hello all,

I am new to PLC networks and I'm wondering if anyone can help. We currently have a Micrologix 1100 that is controlling a system and I would like to log the date and time that an event happens. Once logged I would like to send that date/time to a PC on the PLC network if possible. I would like it in a spreadsheet if possible but I can deal with the data if it's there.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks,

Dave

Acidjazz54 said:
Hello all,

I am new to PLC networks and I'm wondering if anyone can help. We currently have a Micrologix 1100 that is controlling a system and I would like to log the date and time that an event happens. Once logged I would like to send that date/time to a PC on the PLC network if possible. I would like it in a spreadsheet if possible but I can deal with the data if it's there.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks,

Dave
I reckon will have to do this on the PC itself. For example, you can configure RSLinx as OPC server and easily extract data from there to any table for you want with any frequency you want

Try going to google, and typing in "OPC SQL".

You will have an immediate hit of a good assortment of connectors that go from an OPC server (RSLinx Pro, TopServer, et al) to just about any database out there. Most can even go the other way.

I have used the micrologix bult in data logging function, and it works great.
It does require a serial connection to extract the data.
Also the data, once retrieved, is immediately deleted from the PLC. So be careful not to lose the file.

In one of my applications, I have programmed logging into registers as well, which I can read in excel via RSLinx DDE.

My client uploads the data with the data log tool, but has lost the file a number of times. They then get me to come out and retrieve the data on my DDE link for a callout fee.

If you want to retrieve the data over ethernet, then DDE is the way to go. You can buy a cheaper single node licence RSLinx, then use DDE links into excel.

For the log, Use a seperate data file for each variable to be logged. I use indirect addressing, and increment the pointer each log, rotating back to zero when reaching 255. Use a seperate data file for each For the time/date, I create a single LONG with the code yymmddhhmm.

This method is not as good if you want more the 256 points logged, but can be modified to work.

===============EDIT=======================
I have just checked the new datalog extraction utility.
It works via RSLinx classic, so should work over ethernet. So the inbuilt datalog utility would be the best way to go in any case.

Last edited: