Serial to ethernet converter for DF1 protocol

jrexrode

Hi, I was wondering if anyone here has used a serial to ethernet converter for the DF1 protocol other than the Digi One IAP or the Allen-Bradley module. I've used the Digi One in the past when I needed the pass-thru port, but I now have an application where I don't need the port and am looking for a lower cost solution. I've looked through the B&B Electronics site but haven't seen any other than the Digi One that supported the DF1.

Has anybody tried doing this with a standard converter?

It depends on what you need to do.

If you need a device that literally converts between EtherNet/IP and DF1 Full Duplex, then the Digi and A-B devices are your only choices. If you need to send messages from an A-B controller on Ethernet to another with a serial connection, the Net-ENI is the way to go.

If you're looking for a "remote serial port" where your computer will treat the device as a COMx port via COM Redirector (or a similar program) then many of the major serial/Ethernet converters will work.

What's your application ?

I prefer to think of it as a "general purpose" rather than a "cheap" unit. I still recommend the bigger vendors; Digi, Moxa, LanTronix even if you're not buying one of the "IA Protocol" versions.

You're going to run a "COM Port Redirector" utility (included with most serial servers) on the computer that has RSLinx and RSView32 on it. This utility takes any operating system access to a "virtual serial port" and forwards it over Ethernet to the serial server.

In RSLinx you'll define a DF1 Full Duplex driver pointed at the "virtual" serial port. As far as RSLinx is concerned, you have an extra serial port on your PC connected to the controller. Remember that the "Autoconfig" function won't work, so be sure of the controller's port settings before you get too far into the setup.