RSLogix5000 "Find-all" viewing results

cntrlfrk

Does anyone know a way to change the view of the "Find All" search results? I like the view of Logix5 or 500 where it shows only where it was found instead of showing a list of where it ISN'T that you have to sort through to find where it IS.

Thanks

personally I always ignore whatever the "results" window says ...

after you've done the search, close the search window AND close the results window too ...

then punch the F4 key ... every time you hit the F4 key, the screen will move to the next "found" occurrence ...

when the screen stops moving, you've hit the end of the results ... check the status bar at the left bottom of your screen ... now hit F4 again ... this will cycle through the list again ...

note: on most versions, the status bar calls the "results" window the "error list" ... go figure ...

Last edited:
along these same lines ...

in RSLogix5000, I always recommend that people use the "main" search feature which is available from the TOP menu under "Search/Find" ...

SEARCH_A.JPG

the other "searches" such as "right-click-find-all" and the little "find all" window at the top of the screen often give "disappointing" results ...

and keep checking the "Find Within" area ... RSLogix5000 has a nasty habit of turning some of the selections off in there ...

I haven't had a chance to load it yet but I've been told that V16's Search will just put the "founds" into the results window, not mix them in with the "didn't finds".

When it comes to looking for Tags I've always used the cross-reference tool which, as well as just listing the finds, is much faster.

as for the cross-reference feature - in RSLogix5 and RSLogix500 you can almost (but not quite) live with out it ... the "Find All" feature works so well that the cross-reference is hardly ever needed ...

on the other hand, in RSLogix5000 you've GOT to use the cross-reference for MANY different operations ...

BUT ...

in RSLogix5000 the cross-reference will NOT find "embedded" text within a tagname - nor will it find text in "descriptions" ... for example: if you're looking for all of the tags with PUMP in their names, the cross-reference won't help you find MAIN_PUMP ... not unless you know enough about the plant's system to type in the word "MAIN" ... likewise if you're looking for tags with the word "pump" in their descriptions, then the cross-reference will give you "disappointing" results ...

for searches like that, you REALLY need the search feature that I mentioned earlier ...

from the "long-story-made-short" department (or is it too late for that?) you need BOTH search tools ... unfortunately the "right-click-find-all" and the "quick search" feature and the "find-all-forces" features don't always work reliably ... and you've got to "baby-sit" the main search feature a little too much for my liking ...

maybe RSLogix5000 version 16 will address those issues ... personally I'm in the "wait and see" mode on that one ...

Ooooohhhh just don't get me started on wildcards in RSLogix.......:mad:

In fairness to the X-ref it's generally intended to be used when you've already come across a tag somewhere in code or in the tag database and you want to find where else it's used; looking for all the "Pump" tags is probably a bit beyond its remit. I like being able to re-sort the list based on Destructive/Non-destructive too.