Printing on MDF panel edges

wildswing

I'm looking at replacing an old Willett 460 continuous ink jet printer that we use to print production data on the edges of our MDF panels. Nothing special, just simple text. No barcodes or graphics. Does anyone out there have any experience with printing on wood panels like this? I'm looking for suggestions for printer manufacturer/models?

Further, I'm curious how you set the system up. Stand alone or automatically updated messages from a network or serial connection? Currently our printer is connected to a Wonderware Intouch node via a serial cable. This limits us to using that Intouch node when product changes are made. I'd like to find a system that is DDE or OPC aware so that I can change the printed message from more than one Intouch node.

For those with printing experience (in dusty environments), what technology do you prefer and why? CIJ, DOD, or the new peizo print heads?

Last edited: