ProfibusDP to ModbusRTU

Joe_WaZoo

Lifetime Supporting Member
Hello,

I have a need for a device that would be a gateway for ProfibusDP master on one side and a ModbusRTU on the other. My company makes a ProfibusDP slave device that I need to get to talk to a Honeywell HC900 controller via ModbusRTU. I was looking at the Hilscher products but I can't seem to find the information on their web site. Anybody have any ideas or suggestions?

Thanks,
Joe_WaZoo

When do you have to do this? I heard a rumor on Monday that the next version of HC900 controller firmware was supposed to talk Profibus through a hardware gateway protocol converter. It wasn't too far out, the way I heard it (this has not been announced. It is a rumor)

Getting a package deal from Honeywell might save you some time and effort. You'd still have to pay for a hardware protocol converter, but it would be the one that Honeywell supports, rather than rolling your own.

If you can't wait, I've called Hilscher, 630-836-8679, in the past and gotten excellent over the phone information.

If they don't have it, you might inquire at
Kalke (india)
http://www.kalkitech.com/substationgateway.htm

Miille Applied Research
http://www.miille.com/ (ignore their annoying cursor hijack)

Anybus's Profibus-DP serial gateway appears to be a Modbus RTU master (the HC900 runs OK in slave mode)
http://www.anybus.com/products/products.asp?PID=104&ProductType=Anybus%20Communicator

Dan

Dan,

You must be psychic. I had heard the ramblings of the ProfibusDP being almost out also on the HC900 too. But I have not been able to confirm timeline. We need to have this project for quick demo in early April. I am trying to get my guys to try out that HMS product. The description makes this look like it should be super easy.

Thanks,
Joe_WaZoo

Joe,

No, not psychic, just opportune. I had to call them Monday because their web site was down and I needed an older version controller firmware emailed to me. The profibus thing came out in the chit chat about the frequency of firmware updates. I got the impression it was on the order of a few weeks out, but I didn't press it because I don't have any Profibus, only nice-to-know.

Have you quizzed your Honeywell rep ?

Dan