History recording software

kurt.brinker

We currently have 3 SLC 5/05's running RS-500 connected via ethernet and we would like to record certain inputs and memory locations. Being able to display them on a graph would be the best but something to just record would work as well. Is there an industry standard or favorite?

I don't need a ton of recording capability. I would think around 150 imputs would be sufficient. Its mainly to monitor and record tank levels as well as to view batch numbers and temperature levels.

Greetings Kurt ...

how many data points - and for how long? ... basically what I'm asking is this:

is there enough spare memory (data space) available in the SLC processor to handle all of the data storage that you require? ... if the answer is yes, then a few good rungs of logic and some indirect addressing might be the simple answer to your problem ...

once the data is stored, then something like a PanelView, etc. can be used to access that in a suitable format ...

so the big question is this: will all of the data "fit" in the SLC's memory? ... putting it in there isn't too big of a problem ...

at a bare minimum, i could get away with the following.

We mix three chemicals to create our product. They like to experiment with different levels of each chemical. I talley the results from the flow meters and display then on the PV. Its just for monitoring it while you are filling. As soon as the the batch is finished, and a new batch starts, the counters are reset. If i could save those numbers right before the cycle ends, that would be the best. Also, if i could export those numbers to another location with alot of storage and tag it, and then erase the previous location, that would be great as well.

The main use for software is because after that i would like to monitor and record the average temperature of our reactor and aging rooms. Thats what i would love to have graphed since once i start recording i never plan to stop. I would like to take a sample every 5-10 seconds and have the capapbility to print a graph from any set time with any variety of sample rates. (ex. every minute, 5 minutes, etc)

edit: so for right now i can get away with grouping and recording 3 values. They make around 15 batches at a time so if i could export that data to a location as soon as they are done with X amount of batches, that would be ideal.

You could trend these points with a quickpanel or equivalent. You really need a scada for data monitoring, storage and retrieval.

I'm a fan of the VB/Access/Excel combo using DDE/OPC. I recorded about 25 points every 1-30 seconds (adjustable). This data is sent to access which later dumps the data into an excel file.
Only problem is that you have to program the VB to do this, which can take some time for the first application.