RSLOGIC vs. DIRECTSOFT

kevin91172

I'm now a big fan of AD now and have installed and programed now 6 DO-05AR's and 2 DL06AR's in our factory of making fiberglass fan blades for cooling tower/heat exchangers.2 of these projects replaced old AB slicks.I now feel confident enough to replace our outdated 11 PLC-5 plc's.But of course I need help.The first step is finding a determine what plc is best.We a have 48 inputs/48outputs and a 6 channel RTD module.I'll need the same amount of I/O's but like also to have room for adding some analog for some more ideas I'm working on and instead DH+ use ethernet.Only one programing problem I'm concerned with is we use alot of sequencer programing in our RSlogic code and Direct5 does not have that.Does any know of the simplest way of coding Direct5 to work like our RSlogic program without having to start over from scratch.I'm sure someone out there has done this before.Anyone?

Why do you need to replace the PLC5's? It is an older system but still going strong with available components.

Technically, any AD system, is in the same age bracket as a PLC5 so it would not be an actual "upgrade". I am sure someone will comment on all that Koyo has done recently yada yada yada, the point is the plc5 and most of what AD has is at least 15 years old and basically equivalent to each other.

My point is I do not see any reason to exchange one system for another when they are basically equal in capabilities.

I agree that PLC5 is still viable.
One enhancement to your network would be to add a ControlLogix gateway to enable connectivity to the DH+ network via Ethernet. Depending on your Data Highway efficiency, maybe break the 11 PLC5's to a couple of seperate networks.

Yes, can you provide more details on what is wrong with the current system? Surely your not just changing them out to burn money.

When comparing apples to apples a PLC is a PLC. The PLC5 may be old but it is hardly obsolete. In fact the PLC5 is older than the SLC but I would be extremely hesitant to replace a PLC5 with an SLC. We're going to need more than your I/O count to help out.

And no, there is not RsLogix 5 to Directsoft conversion program

I've used both as well and like rsdoran see no real reason for the exchange unless you just want to for practice...

The PLC5 is still a viable processor with no planned obsolesence (that I'm aware of...) You can still get great support and parts for the PLC5.

AD has a great line of processors, but doesn't have nearly the support network that's available to AB users.

If I were going to replace PLC5's, my first choice would be controllogix or compactlogix, not AD. If you're stuck on the idea of going to AD, I'd look at the DL06 series.

As far as sequencers, I'm always more inclined to write my own sequence-logic and don't use AB's SQO instructions anyway. My homebrew sequence logic works with whatever brand of PLC I need to work with and is not stuck to a particular processor.

What about the EDRUM instruction? It isn't that much different from the SQO. Directsoft has a pretty good instruction base. You might want to read into it a little deeper.

I used stage programing before,and works will try to use that to convert existing program.I will also look into the ControlLogix gateway.I also believe the plc-5 is good system,but managment and thier costsaving stuff is the the problem.So why spend money on new PLC's?I don't really know.Just give me the toys and new challenges.I'm game.

That doesn't make sense... costsaving? Replacing something you already own that is still viable with no planned obsolesence?? But it is management, so that explains a bunch.

Actually for the size of system you described above, look at CompactLogix, not ControlLogix Gateway. It'll be a better match... especially if costsaving is the issue...

kevin91172 said:
I used stage programing before,and works will try to use that to convert existing program.I will also look into the ControlLogix gateway.I also believe the plc-5 is good system,but managment and thier costsaving stuff is the the problem.So why spend money on new PLC's?I don't really know.Just give me the toys and new challenges.I'm game.

Let me guess. The management types have gone to Automation Direct's webpage and like the idea of cheap costs and free shipping?
When are the suits gonna realize the hardware cost is only part of the overall costs?

Ian

I'd see the support contracts and software costs as the biggest cost savings at this point (being that you already have the hardware).

Such a pity that DirectSoft hasn't 'Structured text' capability. Taking into account its price DL06 is so interesting device.

Oakley said:
I'd see the support contracts and software costs as the biggest cost savings at this point (being that you already have the hardware).

It doesn't take very much downtime to absorb the cost of the support contract when you need it. If you don't have the support contract, you may or may not get support in a timely manner.

However, with AD there is no support structure. When you need help, you're kinda on your own. They won't send someone out to help you; there's no local tech-support to help you; there are no parts stocked locally.

And how many years of support will you be able to buy for the cost of your conversions from AB to AD??