backup of a rslogix 5000 program

newguru

I have the newbie questions of the day. I have a machine that is running an RS logix 5000 program. I do not have a backup of this program. What is the best and safest way to get a backup? Can I just upload from the controller? According to the logix5000 procedures guide "to upload or go online, a file in the computer that matches the file in the controller must exist. Otherwise, a project from the controller may be uploaded into a new file. Rung comments, descriptions, andd alias chains will be lost" What exactly does this mean? I do not want to risk shutting the machine down by trying to create a backup of the program. I've got a lot to learn so any help is greatly appreciated.

You can upload and save the file as a new offline file on your PC, only issue there will be no comments attached to the logic

Ian

Yes, you should upload. Rung comments, descriptions, etc. are not stored in the PLC anyway. What Logix is referring to is that if you have an older version of the PLC program with all the descriptions, etc.. you want to merge the existing logic into the old program file so that "documentation" is not lost. One thing I don't understand.. how could "alias chains" be lost? Anyways.. good luck!

cisco_kid said:
One thing I don't understand.. how could "alias chains" be lost? Anyways.. good luck!

That used to happen in older version of Logix5000, V15 does not do that

Ian