AB PLC5 software, TOPDOC, RsLogix5

lorenzdaniel

Hi, does anyone know what the difference of the PLC5 programming software called TOPDOC and RsLogix5 is?? Which one would you recommend to purchase?

In my opinion you should purchase and use RSLogix 5.

TOPDOC is apparently still sold and supported by SoftPLC Corp, but it does not support all the same features (like Ethernet or the 1784-PCMK card) that RSLogix 5 does.

I don't know what SoftPLC's plans are for long-term support of that product. RSLogix 5 runs in all Windows versions and will be supported for as long as the PLC-5 is supported, which is at least for another 7 to 10 years.

I remember using TOPDOC (IIRC under IBM's OS/2) back in the late 80s early 90s and it was better than what was available from A-B but it doesn't hold a candle to RSLogix 5 now and as Ken pointed out, doesn't support the latest features.