RSlinx loading on bootup

Scooter

Hi all, I saw a thread that talked about RSlinx grabbing the serial port when it loads on a pc at bootup.

This has not been a problem as RSlinx was the only application using it on this pc, Now I have another program using the same serial port(not at the same time)and need it not to load on boot.

Anybody know of it?

Thanks....

You could just shutdown RSLinx when you need to use the other program. Stopping the drivers will also release your serial port. Or, use a USB to serial converter and forget about that geriatric serial port.

Your rslinx is running as a service.

Go to the rslinx launch control panel stop rslinx and disable the option running as a service, if it doesn't work try to stop the RS232 DF1 device and if it doesn't work delete it and your problem disappear.
But you have to reconfigure it next time you need it.

Open the control panel.
Doubleclick "Administrative Tools"
Doubleclick "Services"
Scroll down to "RS Linx"
Right click "RS Linx" and click on "Properties" in the drop down menu.
In the "General" tab, change the "Startup Type:" from "Automatic" to "Manual".
click "Apply" and close all open windows.

This prohibits RS Linx from starting when your computer starts up. RS Linx will still start and work properly when YOU start RS Linx and not just because AB decided that it needed to run at all times.

I believe you can also find the "Services" link as follows:
Start-All Programs-Accessories-System Tools

Hope this helps.

You can leave RSLinx running as a service and have it not automatically start the serial port driver - this is espcially usefull if you are using multiple drivers in RSLinx.

Click Communications->ConfigureDrivers. Select the driver for the RS-232 port. Stop the driver if it is already running by clicking the Stop button (make sure any RSLogix or RSView apps or OPC servers that may use this driver are not running). Click the Startup button. Select the Manual radio button. Click OK.

Now the serial driver won't start until you manually start it by going to communication->configure drivers->select driver->start, yet RSLinx still is configured to run as a service.

al02122007.JPG

Thanks all for the help, I should of said that I was using WIN98SE

There is no "Administrative Tools" in the Control Panel.

linx1.jpg

Also am using RSlinx Lite and from desktop "Programs" I get this:

linx4.jpg

And in RSlinx Configure Drivers all I can do is delete the driver:

linx5.jpg

The other application I am trying to run is Micro Motion ProLink II, It works ok but the connection is slow, In fact the Micro Motion tech. said he never saw a connection so slow and suggested that another program was tying up my com port.

Now my Question is how to do this with WIN98.

Click/Select the driver that is running and your startup shouldn't be greyed out and then follow Alaric pics.

"Click/Select the driver that is running and your startup shouldn't be greyed out and then follow Alaric pics."

I clicked it on and it still is grey. It is running without the activation disk in the disc drive, I keep the activaction disk on floppy for more than one machine and I don't have it with me at the moment.

Scooter,

Are those photographs of your monitor taken with a camera?

You can do a screen capture, even in W98SE, with the print screen button. Press CTRL-PRTSCRN to capture the entire monitor. Use ALT-PRTSCRN to capture just the current window. Then open Pait, and paste. The captured screen will be pasted into paint. Now use the select tool to cut just the part you want to keep. Select New in paint, don't save, then paste again. Now you have just the part of the screen you wanted.

curlyandshemp, Thanks for the link to the screen capture program.
I am trying to keep this laptop I am using as clean as possible by not adding programs or even go on line with it.

I will try the program on my home set-up.

Just a comment... We just got through setting up a Micro Motion flow meter, and also found ProLink II to be abysmally slow. You still need to stop Linx from loading on startup, as the PIC driver is tough to kill.

You might try and use msconfig to help out.

From start click on RUN and type msconfig.

Then click on start up.

Go down the list and un check everything Siemens and AB in nature. They find some of the thing like quick time and video viewers. Uncheck them too.

You have to reboot and when the nag screen comes on, check do not show again. Now you computer will not load those programs in the back ground and it also frees up your ram to process other things not to mention unlocking all of your serial ports.

One thing to watch, some programs will recheck the start up line when you launch them. Look at your lower right icons, some of these functions are ram hogs and un checking them frees up you computer to do things you actually want to do.

I have found that running disk cleanup and then defrag after wards also helps speed things back up a bit.