RS Logix and a SLC 150

No, you must use the PCIS software or the handheld unit.

RSLogix is for the SLC500 and Micrologix processors only.

OZEE said:
No, you must use the PCIS software or the handheld unit.

RSLogix is for the SLC500 and Micrologix processors only.

Any tips on getting the two to communicate? I keep getting an error stating that the computer is unable to communicate with the SLC and I have tried all of the suggestions that are listed along with the error to no avail.

And you're going to have to use a computer with a REAL serial port. These fake serial ports they're putting on notebooks anymore will not work.

Golly, I know it's been 17+ years since I've used that software......

We have 3 of those slc-150 units here. They all have EEPROM modules so we haven't had to connect to them yet. The techs just move the memory module to the replacement unit when one of them dies.

The other day, a tech popped an output point and had to replace one of them. First, though, he asked me if I could just connect to it and move the output point to a spare location. I had to answer no, so he replaced the whole thing.

It got me to thinking that I should prepare to upgrade them or at least gather the tools required to upload/download/edit the software.

One of the engineers said the software and cables are "around here somewhere..."

I haven't hunted for the stuff too hard yet though.

My main question is this (which may be related to the OP problem):
What OS is required to run the PCIS software?

PCIS runs under DOS. It will run under windows XP and everything will appear to be perfectly fine. Until you actually try to connect to the serial port. WinXP does not allow direct access to the serial port. I have to set mine to run in Win98 compatibility mode.

I'm in the same boat with you Okie, we have two SLC150s still in operation. The code has long since been lost for one of them. I replaced a couple of them about two years ago with ML1200s.

I think when I was working with it almost 20 years ago it was DOS6.22. Win3.1 or 3.11 should work. Win98 maybe (I'm seeing results of it used successfully)

I wouldn't bet on anything newer.

I'd hate to guess how many of those I still have to support company wide -- I really need to start working on replacing them...

Last edited:
driegel

Attached is a copy of the software (since it is a free download from A-B, I zipped it here). Double-click and it opens in a DOS window.

Do you have the 1745-PCC unit that goes between the com port and SLC-150?

My experience is that the baud rates must match. I had two 1200 units and two 9600 units and the 9600 would not work with a 1200 setting. I used COM2 port on my Win2000 laptop and had no problems communicating.

Good luck.

CeCo3

Using the search button at the top, Search for keyword "slc100" instead of slc150. I posted a few years back on how to build an interface out of a short-haul modem if you need it. As others have said, use a real serial port running windows 98 or earlier in true DOS mode.I hope this helps.

jrwb4gbm said:
Using the search button at the top, Search for keyword "slc100" instead of slc150. I posted a few years back on how to build an interface out of a short-haul modem if you need it. As others have said, use a real serial port running windows 98 or earlier in true DOS mode.I hope this helps.

I searched and found a post showing the proper connections in a 25 pin to 9 pin adaptor. Lo and behold, I had the wrong cable. I made a correct cable and everything was relatively easy from there.

I am probably going to upgrade to a modern PLC when time allows. The stuff from Automation Direct seems to have become the PLCs of choice in our plant now? Anybody ahve any opinions that may steer me away from these when I upgrade?

Definately upgrade if possible, in the Logix series, even the lowly FlexLogix CPU can run rings around the 100/150 bricks.

I just wanted to chime in though, and say if you have your PCC interface running properly, treat it very well. They have a nasty habit (dredging up memories from more than a decade ago) of failing due to stress on the connector's on the circuit board. Sometimes, a quick touch with a soldering iron would fix them, but sometimes they were just trash.

driegel said:
I searched and found a post showing the proper connections in a 25 pin to 9 pin adaptor. Lo and behold, I had the wrong cable. I made a correct cable and everything was relatively easy from there.

I am probably going to upgrade to a modern PLC when time allows. The stuff from Automation Direct seems to have become the PLCs of choice in our plant now? Anybody ahve any opinions that may steer me away from these when I upgrade?

rdrast said:
Definately upgrade if possible, in the Logix series, even the lowly FlexLogix CPU can run rings around the 100/150 bricks.

I just wanted to chime in though, and say if you have your PCC interface running properly, treat it very well. They have a nasty habit (dredging up memories from more than a decade ago) of failing due to stress on the connector's on the circuit board. Sometimes, a quick touch with a soldering iron would fix them, but sometimes they were just trash.

I actually bought a new PCC from AB last week (it's not my money), but I'm sending it back since I didn't need it. I'm rather suprised that it was still available.

One nice thing about AB... Even when they obsolete something, they keep it available (for a price, of course). I've never had AB tell me that something was just plain unavailable (PLC related, that is), unless they had a partner vendor making a similar replacement. (Just try buying a 1771-PFB module, for example... They will send you to SST)