Sending an ASCII string

Kyle Grathwol

Good Evening Gentlemen,

I have a 5 port RS232 switch connected to the serial port of my laptop. I need to be able to switch ports to use diagnostic software on Intercontrol PLC's. I can only connect to one at a time but would like all 5 connected to my serial port switch at all times and change ports within the switch.

My problem is I have zero experience with ASCII. To change ports within the switch I have to send the switch "ESC STX A" from my laptop. A can be letters A,B,C,D,E depending on what port I want to connect to. The users manual must assume a higher level of experience than what I have.

In a nutshell; What is the correct syntax? What method do I use to send it? What exactly should the string look like?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Kyle

I have no idea on the syntax (other than what you stated above), but at a guess, i'd start with some form of telnet application - Hyperterminal always seems to do what i need it to when sending configuration strings etc to GSM modems and the like....you can directly output commands from your laptops serial port to whatever is hanging off the end of it.

Sorry not to be more help....o_O

STX is 0x02 in ascii code speak.

So, using Hyperterminal, the key sequence would be: press the Esc key, then hold down the CTRL key and press the b key (make sure CAPS is off, release the CRTL key, and finally press the A (or B,C,D,E) (CAPS KEY ON or use the Shift) key.

In HyperTerminal, you do a menu File: Properties to set the communications port, the BAUD rate. The do a menu Call: Call; then the above keys, then a menu Call: Disconnect.

That'll do it. Oh, you must stop the diagnostic software when doing the above as only one program at a time can 'talk' to the serial port.

Thanks Dave. You are the undisputed ASCII MAN! The instructions you gave me did the trick.

What resources would you recommend that I could learn more about sending and receiving ASCII strings? Any free tutorials on the net or a specific book?

Thanks again for your time.

Kyle

Thanks rdrast. I checked out the link you sent and will keep it in mind. It's a little pricey though. My 5 port RS232 was $150.00.

Do you know of a chart that has the keyboard strokes to match the commands such as how did Dave know that STX was Ctrl+b??

Wow... how wierd, lots of searching for something that used to be an appendix of every single computer and printer manual out there (remember the days that manuals were actually bound paper?)

Try this link for Generating ASCII Standard Codes.

Good luck!

/sigh. And I used to love embedding the ol' CTRL-G a bazillion times in text files to wake up my co-workers

Kyle Grathwol said:
Thanks rdrast. I checked out the link you sent and will keep it in mind. It's a little pricey though. My 5 port RS232 was $150.00.

Do you know of a chart that has the keyboard strokes to match the commands such as how did Dave know that STX was Ctrl+b??