Data Logging with AB PLC's

nhicks

My project: utilizing AB PLC's (Micrologix 1200?)- I need to log data from a modbus port, capturing about 8 different variables, every 5 minutes (or so,) for up to 2 hours (more is always better though!)
Im trying to determine a number of different things.
1. Can I get away with our standard Micrologix 1200, and some sort of third party device for logging?
2. Will the Micrologix 1500 with "data logging" capabilities work?
3. What kind of memory size am I looking at for 8 variables, captured approximately every 5 minutes for 2 hours. Or every 2 minutes for 2 hours?

Any help will be appreciated. Im new to all of this, and glady taking any advice I can!

Thanks
NH

The Micrologix 1100 has the same data logging features of the 1500 and has a built in Ethernet port. If you don't need the capablities of the 1500 it may be a better option.

We dont need the full 1500 for sure, its a very simple on/off control, other than the logging of the Digital Meter via the Modbus.
Could the 1200 suffice as well? We mainly use the 1200 and get a better price break on them compared to other AB equipment.

The 1100 is cheaper than the 1200 and has more capablities. You get the same price break. What are you going to do with the data once it is logged?

We are pulling information (8 different variables, V, A, KW, Freq, etc) from a Digital Multimeter that is attached thru a RS485-RS232 convert/modbus. I need to be able to store that information for each variable, at every 5 minute point, and store in some form. Then once the test is complete, the user will come along with a laptop and retrieve the information. The PLC powers off when the testing is complete, so if its possible to have it stored, that would be great. If not, we can have the customer keep power until data is retrieved. Im assuming ill need the RTC module, just for timing sake, as all variables will be compared to each other (for ex. V drop on a certian phase at time x.)

NH

Listen, if you dead set on using the 1200 then go for it but it's not the best PLC for the job.

The 1100 does not require the RTC, has the data logging feature you are looking for, and many other bells and whistles at a lower cost, uses the same software and the same expansion modules.

Are you trying to say you already have the 1200 and need to MAKE it work?

Using the MicroLogix 1200, you would probably want the 1200R with the second HMI/monitoring port so that you wouldn't have to unplug the multimeter, hit the comms default button, plug in the computer, do the upload, hit the comms default button again, and replug in the multimeter.

I'd recommend the 1100 just because of it's Data Log feature, which will make this process very simple and not dependent on controller RAM.

Think about the realtime clock requirement; will you be storing a timestamp with every measurement, or with every set of measurements, or only for the beginning of the test ?

Asked another way: Is it important to know the time of day when an event occurred, or just which minute of the test it occured ?

TWControls said:
Listen, if you dead set on using the 1200 then go for it but it's not the best PLC for the job.

The 1100 does not require the RTC, has the data logging feature you are looking for, and many other bells and whistles at a lower cost, uses the same software and the same expansion modules.

Are you trying to say you already have the 1200 and need to MAKE it work?

Im not dead set on anything at this point. If the 1100 is the real way to go, then thats what I can do... its the planning stages so choices are plentiful. Only thing is staying with AB.
Does the 1100 have the RTC built in? As for Kens comment, we typically do use the 2 com port version when plugging anything into the main com port.
As for the logging itself, the tme of day doesnt really matter, but if its available, we would probably implement it.
Every 5 minutes I need to pull the 8 values, put the stamp on it, then wait for the next time period. It has to store 24 sets of data (every 5 minutes for 2 hours)- but would like the room for 3 hours.
NH

tw
I just purchased a 1100, was able to slide it in on another order.
Could you possibly go into more detail about the data logging feature.

I have some equipment that has the 1200, but considering changing them out with a 1100, just for the simple fact they have a ethernet port.

Thanks

hounddog said:
tw
I just purchased a 1100, was able to slide it in on another order.
Could you possibly go into more detail about the data logging feature.

I have some equipment that has the 1200, but considering changing them out with a 1100, just for the simple fact they have a ethernet port.

Thanks
It's late, I'm tired. Come on Hounddog. You know how to find me.

I'm getting ready to write an article on the data logging in a week or so.

Another question for getting the data.
I hear the 1100 has a built web server? If so, could I have the user connect via the ethernet port, and pull (or view) data from in a website type format? They could then just look at it, or pull it as an excel file or etc.?

TWControls > Thank you for your help.
I think im going to go with the 1100 and figure out hwo to get it working.
I noticed in the Bulletin Manual, there is no mention of the web server. Is this an option, or?

NH