Bit Shifting

goatom

Getting closer to understanding BSR/BSL but I still cannot understand the "CONTROL" address function. I am using R6:10 and I can see the 0's amd 1's do their thing, but what purpose is the control segment of this instruction? Also I gave the BSR a length of 8 but bits shift all the way to 15 on a BSL instruction.

Going to go shift some bits at home and will see what the control has to say about that.

The 'Control' (R:) registers in AB PLC's are just data blocks that the PLC uses internally to keep track of what the instruction is doing.

If you have played much with AB SLC/PLC processors, you might know that on older CPU's, you needed to reserve a block of integer registers for things like a PID instruction. Newer series CPU's introduced the "PD:" data file. They both store the state and control information so the PID equations could function, but the PD: type is much more user (and, I assume, even processor) friendly.

Open the data table address for R6:10 and compare what you see there with what's in the box in the ladder rung for that instruction.