Micrologix 1500 and PanelView Plus 700

ijf0

PanelView Plus 700 2711P-B7C4D1
Micrologix 1500 0764-LRP

Ok, so the main problem is I cant get these two animals to communicate. I wrote a very simple program to count and display a number but i always get this error message on the PanelView "DF1 Driver failed to autoconfig COM1: and therefore will not start. Please verify cable ... [scrolls off screen].

Obviously, when i clear that message and push the button to increase the count on the display I get the error "Problem writing value '0' to 'TEST/B3_0_0'"

At first I was convinced it was simply a cable problem, so I have tried all combinations of the following, including purchasting a brand new "null modem" cable at the advice of a supplier. 1747-CP3; 2711-NC13; and 1761-CBL-PM02.

I thought i followed all the instructions correctly to copy the driver over to the PanelView program in RSView Studio.

Any ideas?

Here's the scoop with PanelView serial ports, and it applies to both Standard PanelView terminals and PanelView Plus terminals.

The PanelView has a "DCE" type serial port.

Computers have "DTE" type serial ports. A-B controllers have "DTE" type serial ports.

To connect DTE to DTE, you use a "Null Modem" cable. That's why you use "null modem" cables to connect your PC to a controller.

To connect DCE to DTE, you use a straight-through cable.

1747-CP3 is a "null modem" type cable and won't work.
1761-CBL-PM02 is a "null modem" type cable and won't work.

2711-NC13 is a straight-through cable and will work to connect the PanelView Plus to the Channel 1 serial port of the MicroLogix 1500 1764-LRP controller.

Now you can focus on making sure the communications settings on the MicroLogix Channel 1 are set correctly for DF1 Full Duplex.

There is a good RA Knowledgebase document, Answer ID # 32324, that is a step-by-step explanation of this process.

Make sure also that you don't have a Kepware driver configured to use the serial port on the PanelView Plus.