suggestion of plc programmer

anusri

hi,

if anyone working as plc programmer can they tell their nature of job, responsibilities, what r the intial things to be known, as i am trying for plc programmer job, so that i can get prepared intially abt the things i have to know which will be helpful for interview also

thank you

Assalam Alaikum
I have learnt PLC programming during my job in a tannery in Karachi, Pakistan. I think first important thing is that you should be able to understand the working system of a process or a machine, where you want to use PLC. Secondly, you should have command to know and understand all about the instructions, used in PLC programming. There are always some differences in various small tips of different PLCs. I personally like Omron PLC and I am well familar with its programming.
Reagrds

Muhammad Khirad Alam

thank you

hi khirad

thank you for the reply, i have just undergine training but no experience in automation, have undergone training on AB, siemens, omron, keyence in plcs, used hardware of AB and seimens only

i want to know whether u used omron plc, can u give the details of it, and if AB also it will be helpful for me, as i am trying to gain knowledge and enter into that field, as without exp it is hard to get job

thankyou

I have worked on Omron PLC CQM1 and CQM1H series. When I bought my first PLC CPU and other I/O cards, I also purchased programming software Syswin 3.4 and the programming manuals. That helped me to understand the meanings of various instructions and terminology, used in PLC programming. It is something you need to concentrate on the topic and during study, you must have PLC to program and check the functioning of program.
At this stage, may I ask you that have you ever made a PLC program? Do you have any PLC programming software?
I can fully help you on Omron PLC.

Best Regards

Muhammad Khirad Alam

regarding plc

hi,

i told before i have just taken training, (AB micrologix1000 with rs500 sortware , siemens s7300 with step 7 software, omron and keyence just the software we have done) even though if we have software, it doesnt work without hardware, becoz we have to upload the pgm for checking na,just we have tried few pgms in the institute, that is the main cause i want to know the practical job included for plc programmer in the industry.

if any pgms to try, i am ready to try, so i can improve as a programmer and chk out with others if i am doing proper.

This is a little off the subject but also related. My company
has branded my area of expertice as "Programmer". Which I
am strongly against and trying to change. The correct title
should be Controls or Automation Engineer/Technician. Other
than programming PLC/HMI/SCADA devices I must also know
hydraulics , pneumatics , mechanics , instrumentation ,
operations' of various machinery , laser measuring devices ,
multitude of different sensing devices , customer training,
writing of techanical manuals , etc... So you can see it is
a lot more than "Programming".

anusri said:
hi,

if anyone working as plc programmer can they tell their nature of job, responsibilities, what r the intial things to be known, as i am trying for plc programmer job, so that i can get prepared intially abt the things i have to know which will be helpful for interview also

thank you

Common sense. I think that is one of the most important things for a programmer to have.

Look for the simple things, not weird and wonderful.

Remember, programmers are the dumbest people in the world, they do what customers tell them to do. PLCs are even dumber, as they do what programmers tell them to do.

Documentation, documentation, documentation. Put comments on every rung and every instruction you code.

Keep manuals for every card, every CPU and every instrument you are working with on your laptop as a *.pdf file.

When writing a program, first get it to work, then make it.....(fill in the blank)

Ian

There are two skills that are very important but often neglected. The first is the ability and patience to observe closely the actual event and sequence of events during system operation. The second is the application of common sense and cause and effect thinking to convert actual events into desired events.

And don't forget AutoCad, MSOffice Professional, Databases, Optimization Equipment, Setup of Freq Drives, SoftStarts, etc., DeviceNet, ControlNet, EtherNet, Modbus, along with a host of things normally relegated to an IT Department, and the list goes on and on and ....

And good communication skills. 90% of a controls project is getting all of the information you need in a way that it can be understood. If you can't effectively communicate, you can't effectively get the right info (or the right help you need)

Our IT guy quit now it seems I am also by default the
subsitute "IT" guy also. Controls/Automation people are
the most flexible skills in most of the companies I
have visited. They should be well compensated for this.