C-More vs Proface

CharlesM

Im looking into using a C-More EA1-S3ML or a Proface ST403 with an RMC70 motion controller. This is mainly just for a test. I have the motion controller with Profibus and a serial port. I am thinking for a test I could just use serial port. This would be a stand alone project where I would not use a PLC just the motion control and HMI. If testing was good then I might use eithernet on the real thing but I just want to see what type of interface I can make on one of these little screens. I am leaning towards the C-More but I think I can get the Proface on loan from my local distributor. I would like to hear from someone that has used both. Likes & dislikes.

The C-more doesn't have very capable trending. It will not handle passing arrays, don't know about the Proface.

I would ask Jacob at Delta

He is the one that writes the example programs for the HMIs. He can tell you about most of the relative features.

If you are going to use Ethernet in the future then you should also consider the Red Lion displays such as the 308. As far as I know, it is the only HMI that can read arrays. This is important if you want to display the motion profile or plots on the HMI.

The C-more and Pro-Face are both good options, assuming you use the Pro-Designer software with the Pro-Face. The Pro-Face ST403 can be programmed with either Pro-Designer or GP-Pro. Unfortunately, Pro-Designer is significantly more expensive than GP-Pro. GP-Pro does not support floating-point constants in the C-script, which must be used to issue commands to the RMC70. This shortcoming can be worked around, but is painful. Pro-Face has not fixed this c-script shortcoming in the new GP-Pro Ex software, either (which I understand will eventually support the ST403).
Therefore, if you are looking for a cheap, easy-to-use solution, I would use the C-more. We have example C-more programs on the downloads page of our website at www.deltamotion.com.
If you want to view plots of motion from the RMC70, the Red Lion G308 and G310 are the way to go. The Red Lion is my personal favorite HMI. Easy to use, yet very powerful.
-Jacob Paso

A word of caution: Pro-face is still selling Pro Designer but it will not develop or upgrade it any more: all the efforts are onto GP-Pro Ex.

It is a shame because Pro Designer is nice and powerful software, but... the strategic decision has been made. At least that is what we have been hearing from our Pro-face reps: we did make a few projects with Pro Designer but now it seems like it will be the dead end. Too bad.

I really like the looks of the Red Lion but I don't think its cheap enough. It looks like the C More is the best for the money.