TI545 Extended Memory

ilikbeer

Hello from the frozen tundra of Ohio. Hope all the ole reliables are still around. Have been off learning the languages/scripts of the PC world. Nice to get back to the real world of PLCs.

One for the old TI 545 guys.
I recently added a large amount of logic to a TI545-1101 program to start getting information to our new Wonderware package. Even after moving as much memory around as I could, I am running out. Less than a total of 2k left, and I am sure someone will want some information I missed somewhere. I have heard rumors that there is a way (card or module) to expand the memory on the 545-1101. Does anyone know if this is true and what part number that would be. I have looked through all of our manuals, checked the Siemens site, done several different Googles, and no luck.

Thanks in advance even for a once over. It is good to see the old neighborhood, even if you can not stay for long.

At one time the 1101 had an optional 256K memory extender. But it's been many years since the 1101 was in it's prime, I doubt you can find one. Your best bet is to wait and see if you need it or not. If you do, upgrading the processor may be your only choice.

Thanks alot Mr. Moore.

Always the highest respect for your comments. Yes, I have looked at the 555s which will get me there. Still waiting on CTI to see if they ever get done Beta testing their 2500 series.

If this is like anything else they want around here, I will need the memory.

545 may well have seen its day, but I still like the old girl.
There is nothing like a big "rack" to get my attention!

Thanks again! U-Rule

I'm waiting on the Beta testing also. The CTI sales guy wanted to demo a working model, but didn't have the time. Per CTI's website, the beta testing is in progress, and a commercial product around the corner. I've been hearing that song for two years now.

Pardon my asking Mr. Moore, but since you have been following their Beta Testing and are aware of their products, does that mean that you are still as hooked on this PLC line as I am?

Just nice to know I am not alone. I just can not cut the umbilical cord.

I still can not find a reference to the extended memory though. I have/use/read the manuals. Checked all over the Siemens site. Looked for any part reference at the PLC-Center. I will try E-mailing them to see if they have anything.

I am sure it is a matter of doing the correct query.

Thanks again!

The only reason I believe it existed is because if you are setting up a new project in Softshop, and choose the 545-1101, there is a check box for having the 256k extended memory. So I'm guessing there was a 64k extension available. 192 + 64 = 256.

I currently support several of them and until recently no other PLC was as well suited for process control. The new AB Control Logix platform may be better. Haven't had a chance to really test it yet. But it took AB over 15 years to catch up.

The new processor from CTI does have me excited, I've been in touch with them for quite some time. I don't know how the pricing will shake out, but it has a lot of nice features. 100% backward compatible. Just pull your old processor, plug in the new one, and download your existing program. Built in ethernet, USB, and SD card program storage for documentation and logic.

There are rumors that in the future CTI will be developing a smaller platform using the same chip set, something to compete with the compact logix's.