Vb,vb.net,java Which Is Better For Automation Field

siva_maddala

hai to all

Welcome to the automation world. My name is siva. I want to well settled in this automation field. I am already plc,scada programmer from the last 4 years. For my future reference i am asking what are softwares helpful for automation means VISUAL BASIC, VISUAL BASIC.NET OR JAVA. Which is helpfull in this field.

And one more thing what are sites available for getting free emanuals for this softwares. If any one knows please just give reply. I am very grateful to them and also give suggestions regarding the softwares which is better for this field.

thanks and regards
M.SIVA

Additionally,if you are using SCADA, most packages work with VB and/or Active X.

Using .net gives access to a huge library of resources.

PS Peter using .net removes most of the perceived benefits to C, it doesn't matter which language you use they all use the same library, so I dont see how C is the only way to go

Also if you do use .net have a look at sharpdevelop it is a free open source alternative to Visual Studio http://www.icsharpcode.net/OpenSource/SD/

hai Geoffc

thanks for your reply. Let me know the sites available for free user manuals of the software visual basic and visual basic.net. If you knows please send the reply.

thanks and regards
m.siva

My thoughts

If I had to learn one of those I would pick VB. I think so many things are built around BASIC that it is the most universal language. If you have a good basic understanding of BASIC you can do many things. C does get more advanced and is a close second. You will see both of these in HMI's. You will also see VBA used for office applications (Excel/Access) gathering data from control systems. I see both VBscript and C-Script used in HMI's.

I think these programming languages are a lot like PLC's. Some do somethings better than others it just depends on what you need to do with it. Its not always "you know one you know all" but I think the basics are similar. And after you learn one the second gets easier and VB is a good place to start.

hai charles,

thanks for your reply. i shall improve in c and visual basic. one more thing i want to ask what about visual basic.net.
just give the informaion if possible thanks

It depends what you are trying to accomplish.

Web stuff seems to favor Java or ASP, which is also a .net language.

Excel and ActiveX use the old VB and VBA, which are all the same flavor and vintage. Many SCADA packages, etc. allow you to program in VBA.

VB.net is the new stuff, C#.net is almost the same thing. I think they run better than the old VB for a standalone application. I also think VB would be dead if it wasn't for VBA still being around in many applications.

High end application based software meant to be sold as a product usually is done in C++ of some sort. Alot of embedded stuff is done in C also.

For your use it sounds like, from your description of interest, it probably makes sense to learn VBA then move on to the .net stuff of your choice if you will be making standalone applications.

VB & VB.NET IS GOOD

siva_maddala said:
hai to all

Welcome to the automation world. My name is siva. I want to well settled in this automation field. I am already plc,scada programmer from the last 4 years. For my future reference i am asking what are softwares helpful for automation means VISUAL BASIC, VISUAL BASIC.NET OR JAVA. Which is helpfull in this field.

And one more thing what are sites available for getting free emanuals for this softwares. If any one knows please just give reply. I am very grateful to them and also give suggestions regarding the softwares which is better for this field.

thanks and regards
M.SIVA

USING VB & VB.NET U CAN WORK ON PC PLC BASE AUTOMATION,USING OPC(Object linking for process control) TAGS YOU CAN WRIGHT PLC TAGS.
and so much....