Micrologic 1200 saftey backup

mrdegold

Lifetime Supporting Member
I have recently been the lucky recpentant of an hand me down material convey system. This system came with no documentation what so every.
We put it together using bit and pices of information and got the system to work (correctly we think)
The cabinet use a Micrologic 1200 processor with some expanded I/O. After trying to gain access to the processor with rs logix I found the code pasword protected. Which to the best of my knowledge can not be circumvented.
Now what I was wondering is if I could use an AB # 1747-PSD as a logic saftey backup. In case of an emergency dump the program password and all into a new processor.
thanks for the help
Michael

If you can't join them, then beat them.

Michael,

I don't think the 1747-PSD will let you dump the program unless you have the password. Contact AB for help with this.

Alternate method: Start making wiring schematics of the system. List each Input and Output that is connected to the Micrologix 1200 and write a description of each. If you don't know what a wire does, make your best guess, then verify it later while watching the machine. Use a stopwatch to time the different functions of the machinery. All of this is aimed toward you eventually writing your own program to replace the one with the password.

That is what I do with password protected systems: turn them into unprotected systems. I never allow one to be brought into the place where I work, except for surplus equipment bought at auctions. If a company insists on protecting their program, I buy the equipment elsewhere. Would you buy a car without a key for the trunk? "Oh, you have a flat tire? That will cost you another $2000 for a key to get into the spare tire..." :rolleyes:

It is the same with machinery. I want the whole thing, not just part of it. Your contract agreement should state that you are buying the machine AND the rights to the operating program. Life is too short to have to deal with this unnecessary headache. They should know better by now, but there are still a few who think their little ladder program is somehow a gift from the gods.(n)

Last edited:
Rockwell Automation field service engineers can retrieve the program from a passworded processor. There's a simple form you have to fill out that verifies your ownership of the program in the controller, and there's a labor fee. It's probably the right thing to do.

The 1747-PSD will upload from a controller that is password protected, and can download that program into another controller, retaining the password.

Thank you both so much for the help I really appreciate it.
I started keeping a system diagram when we started to try to put this system together. It helped us figure out what field devices we needed to find the I/O for during wiring. I also plan to add to the diagram as we id the I/O.
My first concern was to be able to restore this system in case of failure and it looks like the 1747-PSD can be a safety net at least for the time being.
It would also be great to get a copy of the code and add descriptions and comments as we figure out what is what. Even just to attempt to figure out why this system behaves as it does.
Again thank you so very much for the help
Michael

Last edited: