Bubba to Technical Genius - Where do you stand?

PLC Involvement?

• huh? P,L... what?

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Student/Hobbyist

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • Field or In-House technician

Votes: 27 22.3%
  • In-House design/engineer

Votes: 40 33.1%
  • Integrator - design/engineer (Controls Engineer designing control systems)

Votes: 40 33.1%
  • Freelance tech/design/engineer

Votes: 22 18.2%
  • OEM Support Staff

Votes: 7 5.8%
  • OEM Design/Engineer (EE/CS engineer designing PLC technology)

Votes: 15 12.4%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 6 5.0%
  • I host [url]www.plcs.net[/url] (this option reserved for Phil)

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
I voted for both in-house tech and in-house design/engineer. I have the interesting position at work for being responsible for everything from plunging toilets to re-writing existing and implementing new control systems.

Basically if it's related to maintenance or facilites, my pager goes off.

I picked in house design/engineering as well as intergrator as we design and build equipment, and we also do systems integration and scada work not necesarily related to our own equimpment.

Marc

Until 1990 I was an in-house technician/design/engineer. From 1990 to 1993 I had nothing to do with PLCand related stuff, because in that period I was involved in quality control. From 1993 untill now I've been teaching/training both employees and unemployed about PLC and SCADA systems, so I voted "other". I guess I'm also in-house technician/design/engineer, because I have to design, build and maintain the equipment I use to teach, but that's only a very limited part of my duties (timewise I mean).

Kind regards,

Guess I do a bit of everyting; just like a lot of you do!

I put down In-House design/engineer and probably should have put down In-House Tech. I do some in house engineering/design for internal/captial projects; provide Level 1 programming and support, sometimes get my hands dirty, and certainly provide support to mainteneance/tech and production teams during the day and nigh (even though I'm not officially on call at night - get called anway).

Andrew

Andrew Evenson said:
I put down In-House design/engineer and probably should have put down In-House Tech. I do some in house engineering/design for internal/captial projects; provide Level 1 programming and support, sometimes get my hands dirty, and certainly provide support to mainteneance/tech and production teams during the day and nigh (even though I'm not officially on call at night - get called anway).

Andrew

Sounds the same as my job description.

Technical Grunt

Andrew Evenson said:
I put down In-House design/engineer and probably should have put down In-House Tech. I do some in house engineering/design for internal/captial projects; provide Level 1 programming and support, sometimes get my hands dirty, and certainly provide support to mainteneance/tech and production teams during the day and nigh (even though I'm not officially on call at night - get called anway)
Same here.

Not that I mean to stir the pot. Well, OK, I do a little.

Unless I'm misunderstanding the title of the thread, the title seems to refer to what an individual believes their level of technical competence is relative to plcs and controls. The poll seems to ask what the responders employment type is. I would contend that, with the possible exception of the first and last selections, there are Bubbas and geniuses in each of the selections. The first selection infers no knowledge of plc systems (off the scale on the bottom) and the last infers genius level. All others are a mix.

Keith

I agree with Kieth

I have to agree with Kieth. There are definatly different levels of competence in each "job Function" listed in the poll. This is life. I interpurted the poll as what type of job functions you perform. As to if I'm a genius or a Bubba within the "job functions" I said I work within,...I would say depending on the situation, day, my understanding of the process/equipment and who I am working with, I span the spectrum.

If you ask my wife I'm bubba....:D

Andrew

In house engineer/Integrator design engineer. I do both systems which we use in house and systems that are sold to others.

I almost checked freelance as well, but its been more than two years since I last took on a side job and I don't have any plans (or time) to do so for at least another year.

To explain my involvement would be a short history of my work over the years. I got in on almost the ground floor of PLCs back in the day when they were almost all just relay replacers. Doing in-house project engineering for a couple of industry types over nearly 25 years. The last 11 years, I have been teaching at a community college and a PLC course is part of my teaching load. I suppose the other category is best for me, hence, the explanation.

In with my two cents. I voted as Freelance tech/design/engineer.
I am a Field Engineer for a large equipment manufacture, (ie very little design work) however I get frequent calls to design small 20-30 i/o projects for local companies. (BTW, anyone else in that kind of boat?) I will never get rich doing it, but it is fun and educational. ;)