AutoCad/dwg. file recovery help

flowdam

We have a reoccuring problem with some old .dwg files that I can't get AutoCad LT 2006 or AutoCad LT 2000 to convert/ recover.

2006 just says: unable to recover this drawing.

2000 actually locks up and then finally gives a fatal error and shuts down the CAD software.

So, a few questions:
  • Are there any other built in tools I could try?
  • Is there a third party software that works?
  • Is there someone that would like to take a crack at the file?
Thanks.

I am running 2004 and have installed a shareware version conversion utility someone on this site recommended awhile back. I would be willing to try to open it if you'll post it. You may also look into the autosave settings and paths in your Autocad > Tools > Options. You can force autocad to make automatic backups in a specific directory and I think you can customize the naming conventions it uses as well.

My recent acad woes: I lost 3 hours worth of work one morning because autocad "errored out" in the middle of an autosave and corrupted the working file and the backup. That is when I tweaked my autosave settings and it has already saved my butt one other time.

This version of Autocad has been a little finicky. When it dies, it vanishes instantly. Nothing in the task manager. It's just gone in a millisecond. It has happened about five times in about 2 months. Usually the problems have been related to inserting blocks. At one point, I had a particular block that would cause the glitch 3 out of 4 times when I would insert it. I deemed it "corrupted" and blew it away. I re-created that simple block, a symbol for a photo-cell I think it was. The replacement was exactly the same as far as I can tell, but has been no problem at all...

Also, I have had Autocad 2004 fail to start three times since I installed it about 2 months ago. When that happens it reports a "missing *.dll file". Each time that happens, I have to reinstall (repair the installation) using the original CD. I almost wonder if that is a back-handed security feature...

Now I find myself hitting CTRL+S every time there is a break in the action when I am drawing in autocad...

OkiePC- sounds like you have had a lot of fun with 2004. I never had that version. I've been using 2000 with a VIA add in. VIA was swallowed up by Autodesk and the company never felt like dishing the 5K for Electrical. I got 2006LT basically to be able to open newer drawings. With the special that Autodesk just ran, we purchased Electrical, but it is yet to arrive.

Anyway, thanks for the help.

I must tell you that I did not do this print/prints. Previous regime.

You might also want to try Intellicad, it was able to open the drawing directly. It is also considerably cheaper than Autocad and from the previous posts it seems to be more stable than Autocad 2004

Thanks Geoffe. I just received my AutoCad Electrical today, but have not loaded yet. If it can not open these files(that were created with AutoCad), yet two other competitive brands can, then someone at AutoDesk will hear about it.

Intellicad is awesome for many uses. I downloaded a 30-day trial that was very much like Autocad Lite, but more stable and can be licensed for under $200. If you are used to the command structure and mouse usage of Autocad, Intellicad is nearly identical.

flowdam said:
I'm going to check into getting Visio.

Stay with CAD, I use Visio for my electrical (but thats just me), I dont think its better, I have just used it for sometime and dont want to change

I use CAD for my 3d and 2d machine drawings and layouts