1747-UIC Programming adapter vs RSLinx

Outrage

Hi All,

After many months of warning the company that we need to secure copies of our PLC programs from the companies that supplied the systems or at worst upload a copy from the PLC minus the coments - one of our PLC's has finally failed! SLC-504 lost it's program due to possible power supply fluctuation (SLC's are prone to this apparently!) I have now got the job of purchassing RSLogix 500 (after the company had to pay more than the price of the programming software to get it fixed)

I already have all the Siemens S7 software for one of our Siemens systems but the programming cables are all USB at the PC end. Now I want to use the rockwell software on the same laptop i'm concerned that we may have the o'l Serial port problems and am considering purchassing a 1747-UIC converter so we can use the USB port as opposed to the serial port.

The question (I eventually got there...) Is, is this converter compatible with the latest version of Linx Lite that's supplied with RSLogix 500 or would I have to purchase the rediculously expensive RSLinx?

Cheers in anticipation!

Lee

Mickey said:
Yes it is compatible. The 1747-UIC is a USB to DH485 converter ONLY.
It is not a USB to serial converter. It does use DF1 protocol on the RSLinx side then converts it to DH485 protocol to communicate with a DH485 protocol device.
If you are looking for a USB to serial converter then go here:
http://www.keyspan.com/products/usb/usa19hs/homepage.spml

Sound! Mickey, thanks for the quick reply!

In terms of programming and configuring the SLC will the DH485/RS232 make a difference? I'm assuming that the program was written originally using a serial cable to the DF1 port, am I likely to run into any port configuration problems on the SLC by plugging in with this adaptor (in combination with the normal programming lead AB1747-CP3). At the moment Channel 0 is free. Would I have to change the port setup in the PLC to accept conection by the USB interface as opposed to the original AB1747-CP3 cable?

Sorry, if i'm a bit dense! I started out in Allen Bradley PLC's but for the last 2 years solid i've done nothing but Siemens!

Cheers,

Lee

For an SLC-5/04 controller, the serial port is most likely in DF1 Full Duplex mode, so you don't need the 1747-UIC. If you deal with SLC-500, 5/01, 5/02 or 5/03 controllers, the 1747-UIC is a very good investment.

For ordinary DF1 applications, use an ordinary USB/RS232 converter. I very highly recommend the Keyspan 19HS model for compatibility, reliability, and performance.

No changes to the SLC port needed. You will still need your CP3 or null modem cable to connect to the USB to serial converter.

Mickey said:
No changes to the SLC port needed. You will still need your CP3 or null modem cable to connect to the USB to serial converter.

Hey Ken, we don't have any other SLC's on site bar the 5-04 and I take on board you comments regarding the Serial converter. I'm more inclined to go for the Rockwell converter than a serial/usb converter as i'd rather have the pukka Rockwell hardware (as the companies paying!) and i'm only checking this in case the serial port's no use on the laptop as a fallback measure!

Mickey, thanks for the replies - as Ive had a few pints (evening here) can you clarify that it will work with the Lite version!

Many thanks Lads,

Cheers,

Lee

The UIC module is only for DH-485 conversion. It is a replacement for the old PIC Module. The UIC is NOT a USB to serial converter. The 5-04s use DF-1 (the serial port) and DH+ to communicate. Use the recommended USB to serial converters if you do not have a serial port on your laptop. If you have serial port use a null modem on a straight through serial cable.

Outrage said:
Hey Ken, we don't have any other SLC's on site bar the 5-04 and I take on board you comments regarding the Serial converter. I'm more inclined to go for the Rockwell converter than a serial/usb converter as i'd rather have the pukka Rockwell hardware (as the companies paying!) and i'm only checking this in case the serial port's no use on the laptop as a fallback measure!

Mickey, thanks for the replies - as Ive had a few pints (evening here) can you clarify that it will work with the Lite version!

Many thanks Lads,

Cheers,

Lee

Yes it will work with the latest version of RSLinx Lite (ver. 2.51).
I will repeat this to clarify the 1747-UIC will not communicate
with a SLC serial port configued for DF1 protocol, only if its configued for DH485. The Keyspan UBS to serial converter is a good investment, as new laptops will proably not have serial port.

Must type faster jimtech67 beat me to it.

Last edited:
See, the 1747-UIC ONLY supports DH485 protocol, both on RS485 wiring and on RS232 wiring. You can't use it to hook up to a DF1 Full Duplex protocol port, no matter what wiring that uses. You don't need it in your facility if all you have is one SLC-5/04 controller.

Get the Keyspan 19HS device. I recommend it very strongly, even more than the 9300-USBS Allen-Bradley branded USB/RS232 converter.

And yes, the 1747-UIC and the Keyspan device both work with RSLinx Lite, versions 2.43, 2.50, and 2.51 (current).

Hopefully we won't be too far behind him.

The local grocery carries Boddington's, bless 'em. After a day of explaining IGMP group subscription protocol, I'm due.

🍻

Thanks lads,

Not quite there yet (still trying - hic!)

The penny finally dropped with Jimtech67's reply. DF1 and DH+ only no DH485 as per earlier 5-03's!

Think that was the missing link.

Mickey the fist sentance of your first reply.....

YES IT IS COMPATIBLE. The 1747-UIC is a USB to DH485 converter ONLY.
It is not a USB to serial converter. It does use DF1 protocol on the RSLinx side then converts it to DH485 protocol to communicate with a DH485 protocol device.
If you are looking for a USB to serial converter then go here:

.....Kind of threw me as i'd told you i was using a 5-04 not realising there was no DH485 on Channel 0, hence asking you if i would need to set up the port to use DH485.

I aught to learn to read more, leave work at work and not advertise in open forums that i like the odd pint or 2!

Cheers,

Lee

Last edited: