RSView SE Custom Faceplate Question.

jaygriffin

I have an RSView SE 4.00 application that I am building custom faceplates for. I have a generic faceplate for each device class (motor, valve, etc.), and I use the #1 parameter to address the device tag used by the faceplate.

All of this works fine, and I can display multiple instances of the same faceplate to control different devices. The problem I have is displaying the name of the particular device on the corresponding faceplate.

I have an RSView string tag that I load with the name of the device, and I was planning to write that to the faceplate's Caption property (through VBA) when it is loaded. However, I am having no luck accessing the RSView tag value from within VBA.

If anyone has information on how to do this, or a better method of labeling my device faceplates, I would really appreciate it. Thank you.

If I understand you correctly, you just want to display the name of the device on the faceplate.

I would not involve VBA if all possible and use SE's native function. Since it sounds you are already using HMI tag and not direct addressing. There's one method I can think of:

For Pump P2007, make a memory tag (RSView virtual tag)
Tag: P2007,
Tag Description: Reactor Discharge Pump.
then on the faceplate, use "Tag Label" and set it to #1, property set to "Tag Description".

or if you don't want to waste a memory tag, set the description of one tag to describe just the device and not its function and use it instead.

Thanks, Harry. I appreciate the Tag Label/Tag Description idea, and it works fine. #1 is my PLC device tag, and I set #2 to a corresponding HMI tag that holds the device description. The problem here is that I'll need an additional HMI description tag for each device tag that I have in the PLC.

I was hoping for a more generic solution. I originally had one HMI string tag that I set to the name of the device tag the faceplate was for, and then the tag value would be displayed on the faceplate. The problem there is when you open another instance of the faceplate, the label on both faceplates now contain the name of the second device.

That's why I was trying to use VBA to one-shot the value of the HMI tag into the faceplate caption when it opened. Then, I would be free to update the value of the HMI tag when I opened another instance of the same faceplate.