PanelBuilder32 "Out of Memory" & "Cannot save File" errors

agarb

Something is wrong with PanelBuilder32 that is installed on my laptop. I’m running version 3.82.01; the latest one, direct from the website. I keep getting “out of memory” and “cannot save file” errors. It is so bad, I can’t even modify a project and save my changes. I’ve uninstalled and reinstalled the software. It happens with both new and old projects. Tech support is no help – they say to reinstall the operating system. I’ve uninstalled PanelBuilder32 numerous times – shutting down my virus scanner, firewall, and RSLinx each time. I’ve rolled back to the previous PanelBuilder version with no change. I’m at my wit’s end. Suggestions??

Is the Hard Drive Disk on your Laptop full (or nearing)? Or are you trying to save to a removable storage (Floppy, or Jump Drive?)

Seems like where ever you are trying to save to does not have enough memory to hold the file. Check your Save location, and how much space is left.

PView programs usually aren't very big, but if you aren't paying attention, you might be full.

Lets see if we cant get this nailed down for you...
I am guessing you are running XP or 2k and not Vista (PB32 has not yet been tested on Vista).

You have re-installed several times (I assume no errors during the install)..

This happens when you hit save (in any project)...

Take a look at where the files are located. Are they on the local PC or some networked location. If they are networked, copy them to local drive.
Also make sure the existing project files are not marked as read-only (this happens when copied from CD and some networked storage locations)

Does this happen if you start a new app and try to save it?

The folks at tech support are a pretty good group, just need to get the right one :wink:

jjsohio said:
Lets see if we cant get this nailed down for you...
I am guessing you are running XP or 2k and not Vista (PB32 has not yet been tested on Vista).
Yes, XP Professional, SP2.

You have re-installed several times (I assume no errors during the install)..
Correct. Re-installed both 3.82 and 3.82.01 multiple times with no errors.

This happens when you hit save (in any project)...
Correct.

Take a look at where the files are located. Are they on the local PC or some networked location. If they are networked, copy them to local drive.
Also make sure the existing project files are not marked as read-only (this happens when copied from CD and some networked storage locations)
The files are on a local hard drive. They are not read-only. If I move the exact same files to another PC and they open/modify/save fine.

Does this happen if you start a new app and try to save it?
No, it's worse. A new app generates a fatal error and I get the box that asks me if I wish send an error report to Microsoft.

The folks at tech support are a pretty good group, just need to get the right one :wink:
Yeah, I figured I ask here first and let it ride a few days before I call again.

I did request a CD of the latest SW from them yesterday. I'm going to wait until that comes and give it a try. I noticed the web install(s) that I've been using are only partials installs without all the accessories like bitmaps, etc. Perhaps the full blown install will help.

widelto said:
Hi:
If my memory doesn´t betray me That happened to me two years ago, I solved it installing and old version and all problems dissapear.

Hmmm, so did you use the old version for awhile or were you then able to upgrade to the latest and greatest?

The problem with running an old version is that I probably won't be able to properly open and work with files that I've created in newer versions.

Hmm... I had this problem, originaly the software was installed on a 2000 operating system, we cleaned the disk & installed XP pro I have had the same problem since, however I have not tried to do anything about it as I only need it for downloading the app & use the transfer util.

It could be something to do with XP.

I received the CD with the latest version from Rockwell and did a full install. It fixed the problem for a few hours. But then I had to reboot my PC for an unrelated issue. After reopening my application, I went to Application Settings | Terminal Setup and tried to modify the Terminal Name and the "Out of Memory" error appeared again. Not sure if the reboot (first one after re-install) was related or not...

Time for another call to tech support.

A similar problem I had a while back was fixed when I moved the location I was saving to so there were not a huge amount of subfolders. First try to save to the desktop and see if that works.

kurt.brinker said:
make sure your pagefile is system managed and not set to a specific size.

OK, Google says Right Click "My Computer" | Properties |Advanced |Settings | Advanced | Virtual Memory and checkmark the "System Managed Size Box.

Any downside to doing this?

Next time I power up my laptop, I'll check it out.

Thanks for the tip.

thats how you do it. there is no downside to doing it.

basically when your pc's ram (physical memory) becomes completely used up, the pc will start to use the hard drive as ram (virtual memory) Its much slower than physical but it gets the job done. You will always have a pagefile active but its usage is minimal when you have sufficient ram.

also, if it is manually set to a specific size, it will not go past that and windows will run suuuuper slow and memory errors start to pop up.

Still no success. I've set the page file to system managed and put my files in the root of the hard drive to eliminate all the subfolders.

I did see another thread on this site mentioning this same problem. Looks like it has existed for at least two years and since version 3.71. http://www.plctalk.net/qanda/showthread.php?t=12676

I started a new case (online) with Rockwell yesterday and referenced this thread; hopefully they will be able to help out. There is still nothing in their knowledgebase.

Assumptions
Computer has Windows 2000 Professional with Service pack 4 or Windows XP service pack 2.

(A)
01. Stop all services starting with Rockwell Software or RS on your computer.(Program>ControlPanel>AdministrativeTools>Services)

02. Start RSLinx service using RSLinx service tab available in programs.

03. Start PanelBuilder 32 Check if problem still exist.

(B)
01. Stop all Services as (A). 01
02. Reboot computer.
03. Start PanleBuilder 32 check if problem still exists

(C)
01. Reboot computer.
02. Uninstall Panelbuilder 32.
03. Reboot computer
04. Reinstall Panelbuilder 32 latest copy of install sent by Rockwell Automation.
05. Reboot computer.
06. Run Panel Builder32.