Online editing

kurt.brinker

Running RS500 pro with a SLC 5/05

The problem is that I have a timer with a 7 second delay and i need to make it 10 seconds. I would think i could just do this online but its obviously not worth faulting over.

I know i can insert XIO and XIC instructions with no problem but when i looked at the help contents in RS500 it said i cannot edit "data tables"

What constitutes a data table?

I believe what they mean by 'edit' data tables it to increase or decrease the number of elements in a data file. As long as the whole processor isn't password protected you can modify any data location you want (more or less). That's what an HMI does so you can do it too.

Keith

You can change values of data tables no problem (Timer ACC or PRE values, INT or FLOAT values, etc.) You can do this even on processors that don't have online editing.

You can change instructions and addresses while online, only in processors with online editing. So yes, you can change the address of an instruction, or the instruction itself, while online.

be careful with the word "symbol" ... in RSLogix5 and in RSLogix500 the word "symbol" means a "nickname" ... in other words it's a piece of documentation (example: MY_PUMP) that serves as a substitute for an actual address (example: O:6/0) ...

I've got a hunch that you meant to say: "can I change an instruction type?" ...

regardless, you CAN change an instruction type (example: XIC to XIO) while you are online (communicating) with the SLC-5/05 processor ... you CAN also change a symbol (example: PUMP_A to MAIN_PUMP) ...

for more along these same lines, you might want to take a look through this thread ... it's kind of long - but it's helped quite a few people with questions similar to yours ...

Last edited:
And, back to your original problem, we always use a register, like N10:9 or such, for timer presets. Then you can change them in any model, even if it doesn't support online editing. You can also change presets from an HMI this way. You can't enter the N register address directly into hte timer, but you simply use a move command to copy the register contents to the timer preset.

Ron Beaufort said:
be careful with the word "symbol" ... in RSLogix5 and in RSLogix500 the word "symbol" means a "nickname" ... in other words it's a piece of documentation (example: MY_PUMP) that serves as a substitute for an actual address (example: O:6/0) ...

I've got a hunch that you meant to say: "can I change an instruction type?" ...

regardless, you CAN change an instruction type (example: XIC to XIO) while you are online (communicating) with the SLC-5/05 processor ... you CAN also change a symbol (example: PUMP_A to MAIN_PUMP) ...

for more along these same lines, you might want to take a look through this thread ... it's kind of long - but it's helped quite a few people with questions similar to yours ...

I was talking about the symbol/nickname. My timer was labeled PID_ENABLED_7SEC and i wanted it to be PID_ENABLED_10SEC

All went well until i went to assemble the edits. It said assemble failed and then asked if i wanted to save changes. I said no since it had failed. When i tried to go online again, the running program didn't match the same on i had just been working on and so i had to re-download it. I had made sure that nothing operated by that plc was in use before i started so it wasn't a problem. Not 100% sure what happened there. I was able to change the timer value successfully.

The timer preset in the 5/05 is a data table address. You don't need to modify the rung to change it. Just go to the data table to PID_ENABLED_10SEC, click on the value in the PRE column and change as desired. Its been a while but you may also be able to double click on the PRE field in the timer instruction and change it there.

Keith

kamenges said:
The timer preset in the 5/05 is a data table address. You don't need to modify the rung to change it. Just go to the data table to PID_ENABLED_10SEC, click on the value in the PRE column and change as desired. Its been a while but you may also be able to double click on the PRE field in the timer instruction and change it there.

Keith

QFT.

All you need to do is change the .PRE in the data table. No online programming required. BUT, be sure that you hit the enter key after you type in the new preset, otherwise it won't actually be entered into the data table.

your talking about the preset right? I was able to edit that by "start rung edit.....) I understand what you are saying though.

I had the failure when i started rung edits, right clicked on the T4.xx and clicked edit symbol. It let me change it, accept it, and test it but it failed and booted me when i went to assemble it.

edit: just changed the .pre again to see how to do it the way you mentioned. MUCH easier. Thanks

edit^2: You are also able to change it just by clicking the pre on the timer instruction as well.

Last edited:
I was talking about the symbol/nickname. My timer was labeled PID_ENABLED_7SEC and i wanted it to be PID_ENABLED_10SEC

All went well until i went to assemble the edits.

somehow we're not understanding each other ... you shouldn't have to "assemble edits" just to change the text of a symbol/nickname from "THIS" to "THAT" ... in fact you don't even need to edit the rung ... remember that a SYMBOL is only documentation (on your computer) ... specifically, the processor never even "sees" the symbol at all ... it's the RSLogix software that equates/substitutes the text of the symbol with the actual address ... more specifically, the SLC/PLC processor deals ONLY with addresses - NEVER with symbols ... (note that the TAGS in ControlLogix are another fish - we'll fry that one another day) ...

disclaimer: there COULD be some confusion IF (big IF) you already HAD an existing symbol with the name "THAT" before you tried to change "THIS" to "THAT" ... just a guess: maybe that's why you had to edit the rung ????? ...

going further ... maybe I'm wrong - but I think that I detect a note of frustration in your posts ... please don't let that happen ... if you need a quick phone call to nail all of this down, just let me know ... I'll be available for about another hour ... PM me with your number and I'll help you through this ... again - I think that we're just not understanding each other ... specifically, if all you need to change is the timer's "preset value" you don't need to edit the rung ... just click on the preset and type in another number ... now a NEGATIVE number WILL indeed cause a fault ... but a valid number should go right in with no problems ...

PS edit ... I see that my distinguished colleagues Keith and Alaric have already out-typed me ... hopefully everything is OK now ... party on ...

Last edited:
Sorry if i sound frustrated. I make it a point to stop what i am doing (if the situation permits) if i get frustrated. I like to just close the laptop and walk out to our plant and chop up our product with a sawzall with some of the other guys.

How can i go about changing the symbol. The little green box above my addresses that i put in there so i know what it is. haha.

Its changed now but only because i changed it offline and then downloaded it.

Wait, now that i think about it. Should i just edit it offline and then go online and it will be there? Like you said, SLC never even "looks" at that so it shouldn't appear to be a "unmatched" program.

kurt.brinker said:
Just my opinion, but isn't it ridiculous programming practice to put the timer preset into the symbol in the documentation? Then when you change the timer (like in this very instance) the documentation is wrong...

Ok there we go. I changed it offline and then went online immediately after and it was correct. I guess you just can't do it online....

Now i am gonna try to edit my limit instructions....

Thanks everyone