Got programmer..need PLC!

JetSam

Hi! I'm rather new here, but I wondered if someone out there would be able to offer me some advice.

I recently got hold of a both a:

Toshiba EX Series HP100 Handy Programmer Part No. EX25UHP*100

Mitsubishi GP-20 Programming Unit Part No. GP-20F-E

The project I am working on requires a very basic PLC unit with about 10 I/O.

Do you know what type or types of PLC the controllers can be used with?

Would the Toshiba Programmer work with a Toshiba EX20?

Thanks,

Sam

Sam,

I have some bad news. The handheld programmers (that I have seen) are very difficult to use and limited in display area. You would be much happier to get a cheap PLC that has free software that will run on your desktop computer. The Allen-Bradley Micrologix has a free version of the RSLogix programming software that will do exactly 10 I/O.

As a beginner, do you also want the headache that comes from using a small 2-line or 4-line display screen? I sure would not! I want at least a 17-inch monitor, so that I can see as much of the program as possible at one view.

Also, there are many other small, economical brands, such as Enteron, Omron ZEN, Automation Direct DL-05, with free or low-cost programming software. Only use the Toshiba if you have some other reason to use it, such as good local support, or a good deal on a Toshiba PLC, or that you already know how to program a Toshiba. Otherwise, start shopping!

Last edited:
Hi, thanks for you reply, I had forgotten about this thread! Since then I have got hold of an EX100 PLC which will suit the application fine. I am fairly familiar with Toshiba PLC's as i worked with some old EX20's for a year using just a hand held programmer.

Cheers,

Sam