Contrologix V16 Wallclock Issue

curlyandshemp

Lifetime Supporting Member
In version 16 of Clgx, I have created an AOI to generate a timestamp. I have noticed that the time reported always appears to be 5 hours ahead of the PLC clock. Then it hit me, I have my time zone set to EST, which is 5 hours behind GMT. It appears the GSV for WALLCLOCK reports back the CPU time plus how many hours away GMT is .

Is this a new feature, or am I misunderstanding this instruction. In V15, the WALLCLOCK always reported back the CPU time.

Ian

wallclock_2.jpg

time reported from GSV for WALLCLOCK reports CPU time + #hours away from GMT

wallclock_3.jpg

Alaric said:
Its a new feature - advantage: automattic DST.

Don't follow what you mean, but I have noticed that if DST is checked, the PLC clock will advance 1 hour.

But the issue is that there appears to be a relation between the Time Zone and the time reported by the WALLCLOCK CLASS in the GSV instruction.

Ian

I assume you are using the Date/Time attribute. Try the LocalDateTime instead. It works just fine.

The additional features added to the WallClock means some things are a little different now. Read through the help on the WallClock object and you will see the new attributes.

Now you have a Universal Time that is independent of the time zone and a local time that can use DST or not. You can even manually specify the DST adjustment.

OG

Last edited:
Operaghost said:
I assume you are using the Date/Time attribute. Try the LocalDateTime instead. It works just fine.

The additional features added to the WallClock means some things are a little different now. Read through the help on the WallClock object and you will see the new attributes.

Now you have a Universal Time that is independent of the time zone and a local time that can use DST or not. You can even manually specify the DST adjustment.

OG

Okay, thanks I will give that a try

in ver 16 DST is not automatic or based on your time zone like Windows does. You have to do it manually.

Here is how Walltime clock works in ver 16:

- controller always uses GMT time, when you read DateTime , you will see GMT time
- If you specify your time zone (example GMT-5), controller properties will display WTC-5 time, actually doing math for display
- If you set clock from PC, then software will convert time to GMT and write it to the controller

- Daylight savings is not automatic, by checking it you actuall add 1 hour to the display, nothing else. No dates set for change, your application will have to do it.

So actual time is DateTime +TimeZoneString + DSTAdjustment
See GSV help for all new WTC objects

Contr_Conn said:
- Daylight savings is not automatic, by checking it you actuall add 1 hour to the display, nothing else. No dates set for change, your application will have to do it.

As in the display in RSLogix5000 only?

I thought checking it added an hour to value that the GSV instruction returned. Thats good to know.

Contr_Conn said:
DateTime always returns GMT

LocalDateTime and RSlogix5000 reflect DST and TimeZone offset

Changed Attribute Name from DateTime to LocalDateTime and my Timestamp AOI now returns the current time zone time/date

Thanks
Ian