Pneumatic 4/2 and 5/3 valves ??

userxyz

I'm not sure if valve is the right name in english,

If u have a double working cilinder, the you cannot use 3/2 and need 4/2 valve, or 5/3.

When do u use 4/2 and when 5/3 ?

Is 5/3 good for emergency stops ? I mean, when their is such a stop, the compressed air is cut and u don't want to have a motion anywhere ?

And 4/2 for general applictaions then ...

Just for updating my pneumatic knowledge

Is 5/3 good for emergency stops ? I mean, when their is such a stop, the compressed air is cut and u don't want to have a motion anywhere ?
For such an application, it is not enough to cut the supply air. Be sure that the air on the output side is vented in the inactive (middle position).

Originally posted by JesperMP:

For such an application, it is not enough to cut the supply air. Be sure that the air on the output side is vented in the inactive (middle position).

...unless such an action will increase the level of the hazard. Your hazard assessment should be able to tell you that. I have had cases in the past where an all ports blocked center position was deemed a safer option than center exhaust.

But, then again, (for those of you in the US) I am finding I am NOT smarter than a 5th grader. So take my responses for what they are worth.

Keith