Encoder SSI double connection

Kataeb

We have the following absolute encoder on our machine:

Absolute encoder, SSI, supply 10 to 30 vdc, Siemens, 6FX2001-5FS12

Connected to the following module:

Module, CAM, 16 outputs, 24 vdc, s7-400, Siemens, 6ES7 452-1AH00-0AE0

(signals wired: DAT, DAT, CLS, CLS, 24VDC & M)

We need to connect the encoder signals to the following item (to read the machine actual position):

Board, SBM2, absolute encoder evaluation, +connector, Siemens, 6SX7010–0FE00

(Installed in a Converter, motion control, + SBR1 + EB1 + SBM2, Siemens, 6SE7013-0EP50-ZC23+G62+C41)

Should we connect the SSI signals (DAT, DAT, CLS, CLS & M) to the SBM2 board? Or only (DAT, DAT & M)?

Will any damage happen to the SSI encoder or to the CAM module or to the SBM2 board?

Thanks

Last edited:
It's possible. SBM2 should be parametrised to work with the encoder. The FM452 should be put in the Listen-In mode. In the FM452 manual you can find example of wiring.

As the customer will probably not accept any modification on his machine program (to change the fm452 to listen-in mode), can we do it the other way around (sbm2 listen-in mode)? Note that we are adding a servomotor with a motion control drive to the original machine, and we can do what we want with the drive parameterization.