Siemens CP 343-1 Lean Problem

I have just spend over a week trying to get a CP 343-1 lean working with a 317-2DP CPU. I have five other cards in the rack and I positioned the card at the last slot. This had mixed results on downloading hardware configuration. Sometimes just the CP would fault and other times the whole rack woould fault. On calling Siemens UK they sated as the manual did that the card can be positoned anywhere in the rack. By trial and error I finally found that the only place that the card would function correctly was in slot 4, that is right next to the CPU. Does anybody know why?

No reason why it shouldn't work anywhere - the only other point to be aware of is the MPI address of the card .
What did the diagnostic buffer say ?
You do know that the card does need an external 24V power supply ? Sorry to ask , but it happens.

I dont think that it has something to do with the MPI address.
The MPI/DP port on a 317 is separate from the MPI backplane. So it should not b possible to goof up. In fact you cannot see or change the MPI address for the CP in a 317 rack.
The best bet is to investigate the diagnostics buffer like 10baseT says.
Can you connect to the CP343-1 via ethernet and check the diagnostic buffer on the module ?

Only thing to be aware of is if the CP is configured , then another MPI device added to the bus - actually I have just checked , and we must be doing something differently because there is a tab to allow setting of the MPI address for the 341-1 , it just crossed my mind that if the address was preconfigure then another device added to the bus then this could have caused a bus fault .
This doesn't explain why the whole rack faulted though . I have seen installations where the power supply was not connected which created similar faults - but it makes sense just to read the buffer first .
Should be a 10 minute job to add the card , so something is clearly wrong !

Only thing to be aware of is if the CP is configured , then another MPI device added to the bus - actually I have just checked , and we must be doing something differently because there is a tab to allow setting of the MPI address for the 341-1 [..]
Which CPU do you use ? On a 315 you have the MPI setting. On a 317 there is not.

Siemens support entry 18381922 talks about going to the CPU properties - "Startup" tab and increase the value "Monitoring time for Transfer of parameters to modules".

It also talks about the CP not being connected to a power supply.