Suitable sensor for nuts counting packaging machine

flyers

Hi guys,

I've an enquiry from our mechanical department to help source out a kind of sensor that is able to detect & count the nuts in a nuts packing machine.

The nuts has varies diameter from 5mm to 20mm, falling from a vibrator bowl, one at a time.

I can't use a beam sensor as it might count as two when the nuts hole falls thru the beam.

Number of nuts will be set at the HMI.
Has anyone see this kind of counting machine & have any idea what type of sensor are they using for counting?

Thanks for your information.

We had simular problems with counting pieces. What we ended up doing is make our own through beam light array and adding an off delay so as to not count the same piece two times. If there is enough spacing between pieces, counting should be easy.

kolyur: Thanks for your information, i'll have a look on it.

Rich1955: Putting a timer to delay the next count can be an idea as well, thanks for that.

Singapore Mats: Yeah, I know, they are using weighing now, but it's not so accurate when the nuts they are producing is very small. Counting will make their packaging more accurate in terms of pcs.

Alaric: What is counting scale? care to explain more or any link for me to study...thanks.

Most nut lines have colour sorters - Keytech , Sortex , Best - these will give you an accurate product count - I have to say that I have worked in quite a few nut factories , and never seen it done though .

I'm just curious. Flyers has not specified whether the 'nuts' are the edible type or the type which threads on to a bolt. His different diameters may refer to running one type at one time then a different diameter type at another time.

JesperMP said:
I just wonder, why count the nuts ?
Who buys nuts by the number ?
Do you need the number of nuts for other reasons, statistics maybe ?

No , not that . One of the bigger roasters that I install will dark roast peanuts at 6000kg/hr - that would take some counting ! ( in saying that , the sorters can do it ) They are normally graded as a seperate operation .

If these are nuts that go on bolts , rather than in chocolate , then weight is the way/weigh to go .

Stainless steel nuts take ages to roast !