Adding Slot 12 to S7-300 Rack

rhill

I know this is shouldn't be difficult but I can't add a 12th slot to a S7-300 Rack. I am using the HW Config and can't find a way to do it.

My config as of right now is
1 PS 307 5A
2 CPU 315F-2 DP
X2 DP
3 EMPTY
4 DI24xDC24V
5 DO10xDC24V / 2A
6 DI16xDC24V
7 DI16xDC24V
8 DI16xDC24V
9 DI16xDC24V
10 DO16xDC24V / 0.5A
11 DO16xDC24V / 0.5A

and I need another D016xDC24V / 0.5A in slot 12.

Can anyone help me?

Thank you very much.

Rob

If you look at the user manual of the S7-300, you can see that you can only have in one rack, a maximum of 8 cards, if you want more, you need another rack

The rack only goes up to 11 slots. Do you actually have a slot twelve in the Hardware Config?

You should consider putting the additional I/O on Profibus. Then there is always an extension rack. Maybe other people have much better suggestion.

This is perfectly normal. The S7-300 can consist of maximum 4 racks with each maximum 11 slots, so if you need to add another card, you're bound to install a second rack and you'll have to connect both racks with a couple of interface modules.

Another option is to free up some space by replacing one or more 16 point modules by 32 point modules. But that might mean you'll have to change a lot of wiring.

Kind regards,

Chnage the DI to high density 32 bit cards - this will give you the space you need , or use RIO ET200S I/O -
I tend to keep Inputs grouped together next to the processor , and outputs to the right , but this is only habit , and doesn't effect operation - you would be amazed though how many people get confused and/or make mistakes if you don't keep some sort of order .

We were afraid of that. Our sales rep even told us that there wasn't any limit! Oh well, 32pt cards it is.

Thanks guys, I really appreciate your quick response.

Rob

Sales rep is a clown - disregard everything he has told you ! Did he think you could keep adding cards until you had to cut a hole in the end of the panel .
Just out of interest , why did you go for the 315 F?

Like 10baseT seems to suggest, it sounds like you have not worked so much with S7. Programming safety functions should not be so difficult. But at least you should master the basics of S7.

We were afraid of that. Our sales rep even told us that there wasn't any limit! Oh well, 32pt cards it is.
This sounds like you have concluded that it is not possible to add more modules.
Like Daniel explains you can add another rack via an IM module in the empty slot 3.
There is a low-cost version IM module which contains a sender module for the CPU rack, a reciever module for the expansion rack, and a fixed 1 meter cable between the two.

The 315 also supports Profibus DP i/o like also suggested. You can add ET200M racks (like S7-300) or ET200S for example (similar to ET200M only with a finer graduation).

This does happen to be my first Siemens experience. It should be a good one to start on and I can see the "fun" of doing the safety in the processor.

As far as Slot 12 goes, it comes down to panel space.... we have enough room to switch out a card but not really to add another rack.

We do have some DP I/O in the system already, as it is a dial table with I/O resident on the table. As well there are a couple of robots that will be controlled in this manner.

I'm sure I'll be posting plenty more questions on this stuff and I truly appreciate all of the feedback that I can get.

Rob