Profinet

S7Guy

I have a project coming up where I think Profinet might be a good fit. I will need about 20 remote IO nodes spread throughout the plant, with each node needing only about 6 inputs and 6 outputs.

What experiences have you had so far? Is is easier for Profinet cables to be installed vs Profibus? Could a customer's IT dept (or whoever usually runs their customer network cables) take care of running the cables between nodes and terminating them? Have you seen install costs go down with Profinet?

How about third party devices? Are they pretty much plug and play once the GSD (or XML) file is installed? Any surprises?

Profinet I/O might be OK , but feign death if you get an iMAP/CBA job - what a nightmare !! I am having to downgrade from 5.4 to 5.3 just to get the interfaces to work , all in all we could have achieved a much better result with using a few BSENDS , and BRCVS .

I can email you the "getting started" guides if you wish , you won't get some of this easily , and it may help you . send a PM