GALIL/Yaskawa MOTION CONTROLLERS

I have an upcoming project (punching holes in continuous sheet) that will require a servo motion controller. I am hoping for feedback in what motion controller manufacturer others have had good luck with. I have looked at Yaskawa and Galil. Both seem very capable. Cost is somewhat of an issue, but not inclusively.

I have several Yaskawa DR2 drives ...these machines use the 700w units. They really are very stable and not too pricey. They can be a little twitchy to tune in sometimes but once there they stay put. I also have had a couple times where I've gotten error codes displayed on the handheld that that weren't on the list. Took about 20 minutes to isolate to a flakey built-in encoder in the motor and correct the problem. Contacted Yaskawa and after a week they told me to check the motor encoder. But all-in-all a good drive.
I also have several AB Ultra 200 drives. Since these are AB and they are so proud of their parts you know they are pricey but very good. The Ultra is easy to program and tune and I have yet to kill one of the drives or the motors.

CharlesM said:
How many axis?
What types of motion gearing,circle int, belt tracking, etc?
What type of interface/plc will you be using?

www.deltamotion.com
I will require control of 2 axis (probably 400w servos). I will need to monitor 1 axis (main conveyor encoder). I will probably spec at least 6 axis in the controller for future expansion.

The application would be a camming application as I would wish for the punchers (there are two punchers) to punch every 2" (this will change with diffrent recipes) of main conveyor travel.

I would probably use a Automationdirect DL-06 with a ECOM(modbus TCP/IP) if I need to. If the motion controller has enough discrete I/O to handle the application, I would use a HMI operator interface(c-more, maple systems)connected to the motion controller for changing conveyor punching lengths.

Last edited:
I have done some work with a Galil but it has been many years. I think it is a good control. I have looked at some of the Yaskawa controllers and drives but I have not used any. They do look good. I am using the Delta RMC100 and I have started using the RMC70. If I were doing this I would look at the RMC70. It only has 2 axis but you could have extra encoder in just for tracking. You could always add another controller if needed. This is a good little controller and you can do some math and logic that can make your applicaton real smooth. I would also bet that it is cheaper than both the above controllers. Check out their web site. They have some good examples and you can download the software for free. You can then connect to controllers they have online and see what you think.

I've used the Yaskawa Sigma II servo's with DeviceNET several years and had no luck at all when it came to reliablilty. They still get replaced about once a year. A couple of times the replacement came with a different firmware that would no longer work unless the control software was changed.

One example was a start bit that the control program would set to start the move. After the drive was replaced, every once in a while it would not start its move even though the start bit was true. In order to get it to work again the bit had to be toggled on and off until the drive started to move. It was like it was edge triggered and the drive would miss the rising edge.

I've noticed that Omron now has the exact same servo amplifier with their name on it.

thanks for quick and valuable feedback!!! This this first motion application that I have done outside of PLC based open loop applications. I am very happy to see the mnemonic based programming that is available in several controllers.

JOHN ARMSTRONG said:
I will require control of 2 axis (probably 400w servos). I will need to monitor 1 axis (main conveyor encoder). I will probably spec at least 6 axis in the controller for future expansion.
Then, if going with Yaskawa, their MP2300 controller is just right for you.

PH.MP2200_MP2300.w.jpg

That would be the small unit on the right; the other one is more powerful MP2200. There is very little information about it on Yaskawa's web site; talk to your local distributor about arranging a demo.

It is a pretty powerful PLC and a motion controller; as a matter of fact, you won't need another PLC for this machine. If you are comfortable with ladder logic programming, this is for you: all the motion-related stuff can be programmed in ladder as well. Or, if you prefer more traditional text-based motion programs, it can do it as well.

This is not to discourage you from looking at Galil; they are a very good brand. I am just not familiar with them.

Last edited: